Swamp Girl 16 (completely built) For Sale

Worth mentioning but don't fit in other categories.
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Swamp Girl 16 (completely built) For Sale

Post by jem »

String, a friend and builder in SC has built a Swamp Girl. But come to find out he wants something bigger to take the grandkids along.

So he's looking to sell his Swamp Girl to make room in the garage for the row boat we designed and he is going to build.

I'll let String post the particulars about the boat for sale. I believe there is a website somewhere detailing his experience with it.
-Matt. Designer.

Re: Swamp Girl 16 (completely built) For Sale

Post by Guest »

JEM wrote:String, a friend and builder in SC has built a Swamp Girl. But come to find out he wants something bigger to take the grandkids along.

So he's looking to sell his Swamp Girl to make room in the garage for the row boat we designed and he is going to build.

I'll let String post the particulars about the boat for sale. I believe there is a website somewhere detailing his experience with it.
"Jim" (String) - I built SG to learn how. It turned out nicely and I am on to my next project, so I'm selling her for $400. This is the cost of the materials.
She is glassed 100 % on the outside hull with an 8" reinforcing strip on the keel plus another strip on each stem. Inside the hull, the floor is glassed past the middle joint and also has a reinforcing strip on the keel line. The topmost joint is also glassed.
She has a solo seat mounted.

Post by Guest »

I don't want to get your hopes up or anything because I live in New Mexico. It would be out of the question for me to buy a canoe so far away, but do you have any pictures of her? What type of plywood did use? How much does it way in at?

That seems to me to be a smoking deal for someone. I have buillt a couple of s&g canoes now and I realize you are letting it go for the cost of materials, so someone will be getting a lot of labor for FREE!
skiabq
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by skiabq »

Sorry that last post was from me, I forgot to login. :oops:
Corey
JimL

Swamp girl.

Post by JimL »

Anonymous wrote:I don't want to get your hopes up or anything because I live in New Mexico. It would be out of the question for me to buy a canoe so far away, but do you have any pictures of her? What type of plywood did use? How much does it way in at?

That seems to me to be a smoking deal for someone. I have buillt a couple of s&g canoes now and I realize you are letting it go for the cost of materials, so someone will be getting a lot of labor for FREE!
Yes, a LOT of hours, but very enjoyable ones. The plywood is Lowe's 1/4" exterior grade hardwood. Virtually void-free. My E-mail is string042000@yahoo.com and New Mexico is way out there.

Pictures http://lee_j.home.mchsi.com/swamp_girl/
skiabq
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by skiabq »

Thats a great looking canoe and those pictures should really help to sell it. Like I said before, someone will be getting a smoking deal. Thats a lot of canoe for not a lot of money.
Corey
Oldsparkey
Design Reviewer
Type of boat I like: Wood boats .

Post by Oldsparkey »

Just to set the record straight, I picked on Matt for quite a while, while we were e-mailing each other about what type of boat I wanted. :?

It was a simple request I only wanted a boat that was a cross between a canoe, kayak and pirogue with a good amount of stability to it ... after all how simple is a request like that. :roll:

A flat bottom boat (less draft then a round bottom boat) that would be able to be paddled in skinny water with ease, take all of my camping gear and myself thru that skinny water and still be easy to maneuver around the cypress trees, weeds and over the mud choked bayous down here in the Florida back waters.

Matt finally hit on the right design and sent me the plans which I made the 1st Swamp Girl from (The pictures of here are on Matt's web site) and for a shallow water boat to be paddled on these rivers and back waters in Florida you will have trouble finding a better boat. :D
On camping trips when we are off the river and have camp set up my friends have to try her on the river and all then can say is "What a Boat"

Just my personal opion and theirs........... Chuck (oldsparkey)

This is a picture of the 1st Swamp Girl and my paddling friend for relaxation and enjoyment. If you will notice she sits on top of the water not down in it. :D
Remember:
Amateurs built the Ark...... Professionals built the Titanic
Visit some fine paddlers at The Southern Paddler

Post by Guest »

Hi oldsparky,

That really is a sweet looking boat. We have a place down here we call the Noosa Everglades but is about a 35 kilometre paddle each way to get to the best of them - All National Park and tropical wilderness with no powered boats allowed in most of it. :D

My wife and I are avid paddlers - using mostly sea kayaks and a canadian canoe. the kayaks don't carry enought gear for us and the canadian is way to slow. The SG looks like it will have similar performance to a touring kayak with the carrying capacity of a canadian.

We have nothing like this down here and if it is as versatile as it looks, I plan on building several.

Regards,
Mick (hairymick)

Post by Guest »

hairymick

I wanted something easy to paddle, would cover some water and take all of my camping gear along with me as a solo paddler and she does the trick.
Back waters or as I like to call them, Skinny Water, is where she really performs because it does not take much water to float her even loaded down with gear. She really scoots along with a kayak paddle but for rivers I like a canoe paddle and the slower life.

You get the 1st one made and I will bet you will be making another for your self since the wife will take yours from you for her use , you know women do things like that especially if you let them paddle it. :D

I made a kayak (Pygmy Coho) and when trying it my youngest daughter wanted to try her luck paddling it and when she got back to shore all she said was ..."Thanks for the kayak Dad." I learned right then the rest of the boats I make are tested by myself and no one else. :wink:

Chuck
hairymick
Design Reviewer

Post by hairymick »

Hi Chuck,
:lol: :lol: :lol:
My lovely wife did the same thing to me with my first sea kayak.

When my grown up kids come to stay for a while, any and all of my current boats suddenly become theirs.

Now I have a shed / workshop with every wall with kayaks / canoes stacked on racks - four high and is still not enough. I might be too soft but sometimes even now, there are still not enough. My love of paddling is such that I get allmost as much enjoyment out of sharing my boats as I do with paddling them myself.

I am blessed to be in a job where I am paid to teach others how to build things in timber (lumber) and my manager has recently given me the OK to start a training exercise in boat-canoe building, and all our boats will be donated to a local charity - Boy Scouts, For me - life could not get better than this.

We are currently laying up a strip canoe. What could be better, doing something that I am passionate about - getting paid for it and with a group of blokes who are that keen to learn that they are like sponges.

Regards,

Mick
Regards,
Mick

JEMWATERCRAFT Swampgirl; Wadefish;Touring Pirogue;South Wind; P5 ;
Laker X 2, Sasquatch 16.5 T-V 15 Okwata 15:
Cobia 15 (under construction)