bit of bonding info

Worth mentioning but don't fit in other categories.
tx river rat
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by tx river rat »

When I was building bows, we had a moisture meter that we used to test the wood for moisture content.
I was using ( dang I hate to admit this :oops: :oops: ) gulp epoxy to cover the bows and I never saw any difference in the adhesion of the epoxy but there was a lot of difference in action of the bow if the content was too high,a dry bow was much springier .
Ron
Kayak Jack
Design Reviewer
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by Kayak Jack »

Lee's right, warm air does carry more moisture. That's why we put warm air into clothes dryers - it extracts the moisture from the wet clothes faster than will cool air.

Warming wet wood excites the water molecules, and they will move faster, and in the process evaporate faster. If the surrounding air has a low relative humidity that moisture evaporates even faster into it the air.

Heating up wet wood in dry air will dry the wood and wet the air. Just like standing in wet clothes in front of a bon fire. (No, I've never had to do that. I carry extra clothes.)

I know that you don't want to get moisture content too low in wood, or it changes characteristics - (it cracks and breaks too.) I don't know what that percent is for any given wood, but bet that there is an optimum moisture content for each one.
Kayak Jack
Doing what you like is FREEDOM
Liking what you do is HAPPINESS
I spent most of my money on whiskey and women - and I'm afraid I just wasted the rest.