Oldest Yak'er I Know !!!

Worth mentioning but don't fit in other categories.
LIGHT KEEPER'S KID
Type of boat I like: WADEFISH 15x32

Oldest Yak'er I Know !!!

Post by LIGHT KEEPER'S KID »

I had someone ask me about this on another site and thought i'd share it over here :wink: These are item's my dad traded for while he was CPO on the USCG Ice Breaker "Northwind" in the North Atlantic off the coast of Greenland . The Eskimo's would paddle out and trade these for such thing as carton's of Pall Mall's and other thing's. The totem figure's are part of their beliefs as they would send these to their enemies to bring bad luck or death and once you were sent one of these the only thing you could do was send a more powerful one back.

Mike

The wise man in the storm prays to God, not for safety from danger, but for deliverance from fear.
__Ralph Waldo Emerson
craiggamesh
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Re: Oldest Yak'er I Know !!!

Post by craiggamesh »

Those a beautiful works of art. Thanks for sharing.
Regards,

Craig
------------------------------------------------------
If I had more clamps, I could build more boats.
CrkdLtr
Type of boat I like: Pirogue

Post by CrkdLtr »

craiggamesh wrote:Those a beautiful works of art. Thanks for sharing.

ditto that.

Wow. :shock:
Kayak Jack
Design Reviewer
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by Kayak Jack »

What's the lollypop looking thing on the foredeck of the kayak?
Kayak Jack
Doing what you like is FREEDOM
Liking what you do is HAPPINESS
I spent most of my money on whiskey and women - and I'm afraid I just wasted the rest.
Jimmy W

Post by Jimmy W »

Kayak Jack wrote:What's the lollypop looking thing on the foredeck of the kayak?
The lollypop stick is likely a harpoon and the other part is probably a basket to hold the coiled rope that attached the harpoon to the seal skin float on the back deck.
See: http://www.old-picture.com/indians/Eski ... unting.htm
Also the photo at: http://www.qajaqusa.org/QK/QK.html
and http://www.spiritwrestler.com/Templates ... ref=R60104
LIGHT KEEPER'S KID

Thanks for those links thats cool. on this one in apears to be a fish basket but after seeing your link i now know that it is most likey a rope basket,thanks :wink:

Mike
The wise man in the storm prays to God, not for safety from danger, but for deliverance from fear.
__Ralph Waldo Emerson
Kayak Jack
Design Reviewer

Post by Kayak Jack »

Thanks for the explanation. Interesting.
Kayak Jack
Doing what you like is FREEDOM
Liking what you do is HAPPINESS
I spent most of my money on whiskey and women - and I'm afraid I just wasted the rest.
OnkaBob

Post by OnkaBob »

Mike, do you know what materials they are carved out of?
Cheers, Bob

Laker 13 - christened and slimed (just).
Laker accessories underway.
LIGHT KEEPER'S KID

All i know for sure is that the totem figures are Whale's Teeth

Mike
__Ralph Waldo Emerson
Oldsparkey
Design Reviewer
Type of boat I like: Wood boats .

Post by Oldsparkey »

Could they be out of the Ivory from a Walrus tusk ? Sure look like it.

I have a really nice carving here of a Polar Bear that was carved out of a Walrus Tusk. Ivory is easy to carve when it has been held in the hand and warmed up from the persons body heat.

Before you ask.......... Yes , I do carvings but the Polar Bear is not one of mine , it came into my procession from my Father ( after he passed away) who got it from the person who carved it. :D

My carvings are from Bass Wood and of Swamp Critters and Fish, Something I know about. :D Gators , Cranes , Gar , Catfish and Texas Turtles ... or what some folks call Possums on the half shell . :lol: ..... Armadillos.

One of my Gator carvings is in the Main Museum located in Leningrad over in the U.S.S.R. Others are scattered all around the states and a few other places. :D The Gator at Leningrad did get me a box of Cuban Cigars every year when they were friends with Cuba. Dam those were some good cigars. :wink:

A Little History for what it is worth............
I did sketches for the forestry service when I was in High School , worked as a manager and a Commercial Artist for about 10 years with a nation wide chain before becoming a Deputy Sheriff. The talent was used there , at times along with my Hypnotic abilities for 27 years till I retired in 98 , besides other normal duties. Like midnight patrols and search an rescue. :lol:
Remember:
Amateurs built the Ark...... Professionals built the Titanic
Visit some fine paddlers at The Southern Paddler