Marine ply cost increase.

Worth mentioning but don't fit in other categories.
craiggamesh
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Marine ply cost increase.

Post by craiggamesh »

A couple of months ago I went to the local hardwood supplier where I get marine ply and it was $50 a sheet. I wasn't ready to start my okwata build yet so I didn't buy any do to lack of storage space at the time. I went today to buy one sheet because I was planning to only do the bottom with ply and do the deck and sides from cedar strips. I about crapped my pants when I saw the price. It was now $70 a sheet and the guy at the store said the price has gone up so much that they quit ordering it. $20 in two months is ridiculous. Luckily I hit the mother load of clear cedar deck boards at Lowe's last week. I figure I found enough for 2 boats for about $55 with a perfectly clear and straight 8 foot 2X4 to carve another Greenland paddle from. Now I just have to rip them into strips.

Anyone else here see the price of marine ply go through the roof where they are at?
Regards,

Craig
------------------------------------------------------
If I had more clamps, I could build more boats.
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Re: Marine ply cost increase.

Post by jem »

There's been a slight increase locally. But not to the tune of $20 more per sheet!
-Matt. Designer.
craiggamesh
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by craiggamesh »

I wonder if they know they are the only "game" in town, and since the have not ordered more, it comes down to supply and demand. They are the only supply and it is running low! Luckily, I have a good supply of cedar.
Regards,

Craig
------------------------------------------------------
If I had more clamps, I could build more boats.
PiratePete
Type of boat I like: Wadefish + Mirarge Drive.

Post by PiratePete »

I have ordered the plans for a Wadefish so I will find out whats happened to the price in Tassie in a week or so.
OnkaBob

Post by OnkaBob »

Pete,

Not sure about the price but the (relatively) new agent for Joubert Marine Ply in Aus is Denman Marine - who happen to be in Tas. Denman have received good comments from recent users on the Ubeaut Woodwork forum. Users in Adelaide and NSW are saying the only problem is the freight cost from Tas - which should not be a problem for you even if you are not right next door to Kettering. Keep us posted on how you go.
Cheers, Bob

Laker 13 - christened and slimed (just).
Laker accessories underway.
PiratePete
Type of boat I like: Wadefish + Mirarge Drive.

Post by PiratePete »

Hi Bob

Kettering is at the other end of the state to me about a 400km drive away.

Freight might be a problem to me too :cry: :cry:

I will start a new build page when I get started. :D :D