canoe car topping

Worth mentioning but don't fit in other categories.
LesForgue
Type of boat I like: JEM Trapper by Matt

canoe car topping

Post by LesForgue »

Got a question about canoe car-topping, which I still got my first time to do.

Seems like updside down the canoe would be subject to lifting forces from wind, actual wind or the wind created by moving the car fast. So I wonder would it help to have like a spray skirt or gunnel to gunnel cover on the canoe to keep the wind from filling the hull and exertly a lifting force?
Les Richard Forgue
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Re: canoe car topping

Post by jem »

You could and it would help to a limited degree. Strapping it down properly will overcome any lifting forces.
-Matt. Designer.
Oldsparkey
Design Reviewer
Type of boat I like: Wood boats .

Post by Oldsparkey »

LesForgue wrote:Got a question about canoe car-topping, which I still got my first time to do.

Seems like updside down the canoe would be subject to lifting forces from wind, actual wind or the wind created by moving the car fast. So I wonder would it help to have like a spray skirt or gunnel to gunnel cover on the canoe to keep the wind from filling the hull and exertly a lifting force?
A spray skirt for a canoe is going to be a costly item and probably turn out to be more trouble then it is worth. Look at it this way.... If you would be going down the road and it comes loose , the car behind you swerves and wrecks. You just became liable ( the cause ) for his accident , criminally and civilly.

A kayak with a spray skirt on it is a small piece of material and custom made for that kayak. Plus the way the cockpit is designed the wind is forced down on it helping to hold it in place. It lease it worked that way on mine. Don't worry at the legal speed limits you would not have any problems. I like to go 55 or 60 at the best to help out on the M.P.G. Some friends of mine go a lot faster and there canoes stay on there vehicle.

I have put a lot of miles on canoes on the top of vehicles and they have had little effect on the vehicle or the canoe when traveling. In fact on one 47 Jeep I had the canoe was the top when traveling. It was nice to have it overhead when traveling except when I forgot to wash all the sand out of it when mounting it on the bars. :roll:

Chuck.
Remember:
Amateurs built the Ark...... Professionals built the Titanic
Visit some fine paddlers at The Southern Paddler
john the pom
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by john the pom »

I reckon you're more likely to get lifting forces from a boat, canoe or kayak being the right way up rather than upside down. So I always put mine upside down. Shouldn't have a problem at legal speed limits, however on another forum I saw some pics where the draught from a passing/speeding truck caused a kayak to lift from the roof of the car taking the roof rack with it :shock:. Damaged the yak, car, rack everything! When on highways or if I'm going any distance I use an extra tie down strap that goes over the yak and in through the doorways while the two regular ones fasten the yak to the rack. Each strap is sposed to be good for 300 kilos. On the highway I just feel better knowing the extra one is there.
Belt and braces
Cheers John
Oldsparkey
Design Reviewer
Type of boat I like: Wood boats .

Post by Oldsparkey »

I have two straps over the canoe when it is on the rack.
Plus I use a bow and stern line from the canoe to the front and rear bumpers. Each line runs from the bow and stern of the boat to the outsides of each bumper. One thing is to not have those lines really tight , to tight and they might bend the boat. They are nothing more then safety lines so if they are just snug, that's plenty.
Remember:
Amateurs built the Ark...... Professionals built the Titanic
Visit some fine paddlers at The Southern Paddler
tx river rat
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by tx river rat »

I have hauled both ways ,never a problem. I do as Chuck does bow and ster attached by lines to bumpers.
Ron
Mick
Type of boat I like: Kayaks and canoes

Post by Mick »

Les,

We just got back from a 4.5 thousand kilometre round trip through the desert.

I have always tied my canoes on like this

and never had a problem
Wannabe

Post by Wannabe »

Mick,
Did anyone ever ask you why you had a canoe out in the desert?
Bob
Mick
Type of boat I like: Kayaks and canoes

Post by Mick »

All the time mate all the time.
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Post by jem »

Mick wrote:All the time mate all the time.

:lol:
-Matt. Designer.