Narrower beam solo canoe

Area for ideas about designs you want to see. Guests welcome to post!

Narrower beam solo canoe

Post by Guest »

A 16 foot solo canoe with a 30" or less beam would be nice. Maybe something similar to the Wenonah Prism. The canoe should be able to handle lakes as well as be a good tripping canoe on slow rivers. The bow rise and freeboard should be such that it will handle moderate waves but not be affected substantially by wind.
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Re: Narrower beam solo canoe

Post by jem »

Guest wrote:A 16 foot solo canoe with a 30" or less beam would be nice. Maybe something similar to the Wenonah Prism. The canoe should be able to handle lakes as well as be a good tripping canoe on slow rivers. The bow rise and freeboard should be such that it will handle moderate waves but not be affected substantially by wind.
Interesting. I've found to get the bow rise and freeboard to handle waves but not get blown around is for it to be decked. But some folks prefer an opening canoe.

So a very long and open cockpit would be required. That, or partial decks on the ends with a strong tumblehome.
-Matt. Designer.
hairymick
Design Reviewer
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by hairymick »

Regards,
Mick

JEMWATERCRAFT Swampgirl; Wadefish;Touring Pirogue;South Wind; P5 ;
Laker X 2, Sasquatch 16.5 T-V 15 Okwata 15:
Cobia 15 (under construction)
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Post by jem »

Think about this a bit more, partial decks on the ends with a generous flare would allow the ends to be lower and still handle some waves.
-Matt. Designer.