Sasquatch(littlefoot)

Area for ideas about designs you want to see. Guests welcome to post!
Kayak Jack
Design Reviewer
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by Kayak Jack »

I wish you luck with Mother-in-law. They can be a godsend or soemthing else. Always opinionated.

You can order materials (nylon, snaps, etc.) from http://www.cookecustomsewing.com/

If you do, tell Dan Cooke that Kayak Jack sent you.
Kayak Jack
Doing what you like is FREEDOM
Liking what you do is HAPPINESS
I spent most of my money on whiskey and women - and I'm afraid I just wasted the rest.
Tor
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by Tor »

I know it's on your to do list Matt but as you've seen I've nearly finished the DK touring canoe :)
hairymick
Design Reviewer

Post by hairymick »

OK, I tried to post to this last night but my post got lost somewhere between here and sticking to the thread.

Zeb and Tor, guys, I really can't speak highly enough of my Sasquatch. She is, by a long shot, the best open canoe I have ever paddled. She lives up to all of my predictions in an earlier post here and much more. I bloody LOVE this boat.

While I didn't build this boat to fish from, and have one or two :oops: other boats that I have specifically built and set up in this regard, I find myself making excuses (for myself) to take Sasquatch instead of the purpose built jobs.

Sasquatch is a genuine paddler's boat - the real deal. By that, I mean that the hull is an absolute delight to paddle, either empty or loaded. When I finally catch up with my to do list of boats that i want to build, I too will be veryinterested in building a smaller version of this magnificent hull.

I think that a 12 foot pack canoe version in addition to 14' anf 15.5' versions of this hull would be winners.

In particular, I would be very interested in a 12 footer with more rocker for a little white water. :lol: We don't have a lot of white water here, but I do like to play in it when we get some rain. 8)
Regards,
Mick

JEMWATERCRAFT Swampgirl; Wadefish;Touring Pirogue;South Wind; P5 ;
Laker X 2, Sasquatch 16.5 T-V 15 Okwata 15:
Cobia 15 (under construction)
zeb

Post by zeb »

A 14 footer would best suit my needs but that 12 foot job sounds like fun 8) I cant wait to get my grubby mitts on a set of plans
ps sewing machine instruction from the opinionated one went well :shock:
All The Best
Zeb
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Post by jem »

14'?
Beam?
-Matt. Designer.
hairymick
Design Reviewer

Post by hairymick »

:D 8) 8)

I would be happy to be guided by your wisdom mate 8)

Similar length to beam proportions as the 16.5 would work for me. :D
14'?
That would work for me. :D
Regards,
Mick

jem
Site Admin

Post by jem »

Well if you use the ratio logic, 14' is about 85% of of 16'6. So that means 85% of 33" is 28".
-Matt. Designer.
hairymick
Design Reviewer

Post by hairymick »

ok,

Perhaps a little skinny?

How do you think 30" to 32" would work?

Standard 14' canoes round here are around 31" to 36" wide. This gives them pretty significant load capacity and stability but they are a little bargy to paddle.

I am not sure what Zeb is looking for in a 14 footer, but the one I am thinking of would work for me at around 30" wide, I think.

This is Zeb's thread but I suspect he would like a canoe to do much of the same things that I am looking for in a 14 footer. ie a nice light day tripper with a little capacity to carry two if necessary.

Personally, I would be setting mine up as a solo boat so anywhere between 28" and 30" w/should work for me. :D
Regards,
Mick

jem
Site Admin

Post by jem »

I'll tell you this much, I scaled the 16'6 x 33" exactly by 85% and look at the 28" cross section: IT WOULD BE BLOODY FAST!!! But it could be twitchy for any sort of fishing or photography if you were not an intermediate-to-advanced paddler.

For beam, I could go either way. But I was thinking 30" would make a nice compromise between speed and stability.

Easy enough to draw other versions in the future, but I want this one to be for those who started or participated in this thread.
-Matt. Designer.
hairymick
Design Reviewer

Post by hairymick »

OK,

28" to 30" is fine for me :D

Not sure what the time is in England and I am getting ready for w@#k.

Will call in again soon (hour or so) 15 minutes to drive there and 45mins to get through the bloody gate. :roll: :lol:

I am happy to wait for Zed's input here. :D
Regards,
Mick