Sasquatch(littlefoot)

Area for ideas about designs you want to see. Guests welcome to post!
hairymick
Design Reviewer
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by hairymick »

By our standards,Sasquatch 16.5 is a big boat. I am confident the 12 and 14 foot versions would be winners here.

The beautiful lines alone should sell them.
Regards,
Mick

JEMWATERCRAFT Swampgirl; Wadefish;Touring Pirogue;South Wind; P5 ;
Laker X 2, Sasquatch 16.5 T-V 15 Okwata 15:
Cobia 15 (under construction)
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Post by jem »

Kayak Jack wrote:My experience in a solo would favor the 14' over the 16.5'. Bill Mason was a better canoeist than I'll ever be, maybe he could handle the longer boar better. He also went on trips over a week, and needed more cargo capacity.
Those originals also had to haul about 50% more than what is hauled today by nature of todays supplies/equipment being lighter.

The originalls also had like 4" of rocker because a boat loaded that heavy needed lots of rocker to turn at all.
-Matt. Designer.
Kayak Jack
Design Reviewer
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by Kayak Jack »

Right, today's gear is lighter weight; boats are lighter weight; and paddler's weight makes up the difference. ;=}}

Does in my case, anyway.

My thinking would be 13' - 15' with personal preference in the 13' - 14' range. Couple inches of rocker on each end. Puddle Duck? Ask Al Dasen; he's a Puddle Duck expert.

Prospector? Yes. Decked? Yes. Semi-round bottomed cross-section? Yes. Ventilated gunnels? Yes.

But, then, I'm a bit prejudiced, aren't I?
Kayak Jack
Doing what you like is FREEDOM
Liking what you do is HAPPINESS
I spent most of my money on whiskey and women - and I'm afraid I just wasted the rest.
hairymick
Design Reviewer

Post by hairymick »

Puddleduck is 14 feet long and lines a little similar to Sasquatch.

Decks - builders choice, but my preference for such a boat would be open canoe, but a decked Sasquatch 14 - 15 as an option, might be a very good thing.
Regards,
Mick

JEMWATERCRAFT Swampgirl; Wadefish;Touring Pirogue;South Wind; P5 ;
Laker X 2, Sasquatch 16.5 T-V 15 Okwata 15:
Cobia 15 (under construction)
zeb

Post by zeb »

Would 14 foot be long enough for an occasionall double and still be a good solo boat or do I want too much!!!!

Having built this boat in my head several times(its the best ive built yet!!!!)
and thinking what Jack has said about decks,I was thinking about perhaps making removable nylon ones (from an old tent maybe)and having the best of both worlds as I too love the open canadian look.
All The Best
Zeb
Kayak Jack
Design Reviewer

Post by Kayak Jack »

Zeb, I love your "head building" concept. AND, your self-recognition of excellence. Good on ya, mate!

Removable nylon decks would be a good option. Go to http://www.cookecustomsewing.com/ for professionally made ones. Go to Cliff Jacobson's books for some how-to for home made ones.

Solo w/ occasional dual is another matter. Now, you're into seating arrangement, trim of boat (nose up or nose down), weight capacity of the boat, and - most importantly of all - temperament of the two paddlers together.

I'd rather have two solo boats than one dual. That is a complete 180 for me over the past few years. I always wanted a dual boat. But, I learned better. Mother Nature has ways, you know, of making us not so dumb as we were before.
Kayak Jack
I spent most of my money on whiskey and women - and I'm afraid I just wasted the rest.
zeb

Post by zeb »

Hiya Jack
Thanks for the intro to Cliff Jacobson,the article section on His site
is a great read.

Which of His books would You recomend to read (FIRST)
most importantly of all - temperament of the two paddlers together.
MMMMMMM that ll be the wife!!!!!!! :shock: :lol:
Mother Nature has ways, you know, of making us not so dumb as we were before
Im work in progress!!!!
Im looking for a boat to paddle the Caladonian canal in Scotland(solo) and for this sort of trip a little foot would be ideal.
All The Best
Zeb
Kayak Jack
Design Reviewer

Post by Kayak Jack »

"Expedition Canoeing" by Cliff Jacobson, 3rd edition. He has a chapter (starting on page# 67) about how to design, construct, and use spray covers for canoes.
Kayak Jack
zeb

Post by zeb »

Thanks Jack
Look forward to reading this book
All The Best
Zeb
zeb

Post by zeb »

Book arrived today 8)
Now for a crash course on sewing machine from Mother inlaw!!!!
All The Best
Zeb