A light boat for 2 flyfishers

Area for ideas about designs you want to see. Guests welcome to post!

Post by Guest »

I like it but It will not do.

Because half the flyfishers that come with me are over 55yrsold and aren t even quite relaxed on thai pirogues or in my 13ft long and 3ft large plastic boat with platform on front, where i am sitting and paddling (and not in circle and paddle only one side please :wink: ).

That boat i usually get out of the river alone, climbing 45 degrees 9 meters bank (when dry season)

i ll find a solution thank you for your help.

Bamboo raft with ice box for seats
Kayak Jack
Design Reviewer
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by Kayak Jack »

Perhaps Matt's pontoon boat? Shooting in the dark here, trying to either come up with a solution or spur further thought in someone else.
Kayak Jack
Doing what you like is FREEDOM
Liking what you do is HAPPINESS
I spent most of my money on whiskey and women - and I'm afraid I just wasted the rest.
jbo_c
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by jbo_c »

Why not just build two smaller boats that would fit one man each for comfy fly fishing? - Paddling Pram or one of the larger canoes. You can stay close, but each one fishes exactly where he wants exactly when he wants.

- no platform, though.

Jbo
Warmouth

Best Boat for 2 Fly Anglers

Post by Warmouth »

The best boat for two flyfishermen is 2 bluefin 12's, with maybe removable outriggers so you can stand and cast. That way both of you can fish at the same time without piercing your ears.
Yohan1973
Type of boat I like: fly fishing SKIFF.

Re: A light boat for 2 flyfishers

Post by Yohan1973 »

What if...
What if you (Matt) started off with the Touring Pirogue TV and morphed it to...15'-0" x 48" or 15'-0" x 50"
and squared off the stern. If you made the stern at least 80% of the max width you could probably have something sturdy enough for a small platform and maybe a small 5hp. You could always use some thing like this if you want to pond hop:

Tor

Post by Tor »

or build a pair of boats and lash them together when you want the extra stability, catamaran style. Add motor, sail as required... :)
Yohan1973
Type of boat I like: fly fishing SKIFF.

Post by Yohan1973 »

Two separate boats isn't a bad idea...for spin and baitcaster fishermen IMHO. However, we fly fishermen tend to desire standing. I will not go into the whole cultural context that leads us toward the two man craft but to sum it up. A two man craft in which one man cast while the other guides is the cat's meow. I've been prowling the internet learning as much as I can about the boat building culture and ran across the writing of another boat builder and fellow fly fisherman. His name is......ummmmmmmmm.....ugggggggg......... david.......... David Nichols. Yeah, that is his name. He has a design that fits the bill EXCEPT it is not stitch and glue. It's called the Lutra Flyfisher. I don't know if Matt has an equivilent craft though, maybe the Dk dinggy or the Mini skiff.
walterharris

A light boat for 2 flyfishers

Post by walterharris »

I think it will be a very useful featute in JoomFish

When will be available? What do you think?