BTB

Area for ideas about designs you want to see. Guests welcome to post!
Oldsparkey
Design Reviewer
Type of boat I like: Wood boats .

Re: BTB

Post by Oldsparkey »

Kayak Jack wrote:I'd be a bit prudent riding "side saddle" (with feet overboard??!!) with sharks swimming about. Helluva way to trim ones toenails, ehh?
I don't think I would be dangling my feet over the sides with little Black Tip Sharks in the area. Nope , Not Me. :oops: I like purchasing a pair of shoes at a time , not just one.

Chuck.
Remember:
Amateurs built the Ark...... Professionals built the Titanic
Visit some fine paddlers at The Southern Paddler
tx river rat
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by tx river rat »

Now Chuck you having Texaen back ground you should have this fIgured out ,now Jack up in that cold country has an excuse. You figure hot hot it is here in Texas and them boys been wearing the coWboy boots for a few days, when they hang them feet of in the water aint a shark around can get closer thaN TWENTY YARDS.
rON
Oldsparkey
Design Reviewer
Type of boat I like: Wood boats .

Post by Oldsparkey »

tx river rat wrote:Now Chuck you having Texaen back ground you should have this fIgured out ,now Jack up in that cold country has an excuse. You figure hot hot it is here in Texas and them boys been wearing the coWboy boots for a few days, when they hang them feet of in the water aint a shark around can get closer thaN TWENTY YARDS.
rON
Ya saying Shark Repellent ? They did not have any socks on .... "O" I see the non diluted repellent , the full strength stuff and they still caught fish. I thought it was outlawed to use orders of mass destruction when fishing. Ya know , like you can't use hand grenades anymore to fish with. Silly me. :lol:

Chuckles............
Never underestimate a Texan when they have a mind to do something , it will get done , EVERYTIME. :D
Remember:
Amateurs built the Ark...... Professionals built the Titanic
Visit some fine paddlers at The Southern Paddler
hairymick
Design Reviewer
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by hairymick »

G'day Ron,

Great fish!!

Mate, The point I was trying to make is that these two boats are at best, only just adequate in the surf. They are obviously fine fishing platforms, but so is just about any SOT on the market.

Have a look at this one.

http://www.vikingkayak.com.au/fishing_kayaks_tempo.htm

It is a superior fishing platform in every respect, paddles at least as well as either the FnD or X factor, (I fave seen them paddled in calm water side by side) and is purpose designed for safe surf work.

This one is even better,

http://www.vikingkayak.com.au/predator_kayak.htm

and this is their latest in the lineup.

http://www.vikingkayak.com.au/profish_kayaks.htm

I don't know if they are available in the US but there are some very good ideas in their design that Matt might like to consider. The Tempo was their first attempt at a serious fishing kayak. While no speed machine, it is supremely stable, handles predictably and safely in solid surf and has immense load capacity.

Another plastic boat making a pretty big impact here in the surf zone in the hobie quest.
Regards,
Mick

JEMWATERCRAFT Swampgirl; Wadefish;Touring Pirogue;South Wind; P5 ;
Laker X 2, Sasquatch 16.5 T-V 15 Okwata 15:
Cobia 15 (under construction)
Kayak Jack
Design Reviewer

Post by Kayak Jack »

These boats are so different than what I use for paddling and camping on inland lakes & rivers that they seem foreign to me. Use dictates design.
Kayak Jack
Doing what you like is FREEDOM
Liking what you do is HAPPINESS
I spent most of my money on whiskey and women - and I'm afraid I just wasted the rest.
tx river rat

Post by tx river rat »

Mick
Those are good looking boats , I think again the location dictates the design, your normal surf whould be a whooper over on the gulf coast, I dont have a need are use for a SOT ,but there is a big market for them here in Texas, I bet it is 10 to 1 on sales of Sots over Sinks.
I cant really pass a judgment on them , but on another forum they were asking about building wooden Sot and what they needed so I was trying to hook them up with Matt.

Brazos Queen , Laker Cuda
:lol: :lol: :lol: :D :D and soon the North wind
Should just about do me

Oh and the Wol;f is still lurking in the background
Ron
hairymick
Design Reviewer

Post by hairymick »

Mate, IMHO,

Sabalo or Cape Fear will outperform the FnD or Malady X factor anywhere. :D for that matter, so would our lovely little lakers.

Ya only need to get one of em hooked on something like a Cape fear and all his mates will want one. No doubt about it. :D

I see these blokes load for bear :shock: big rods, heavy tackle and lots of it. This is in part why I think the Cape Fear 16 is just what they are looking for.

I have the plans for this boat and have been meaning to build it for a couple of years now, but I just don't play in the surf much anymore. If I were fishing those conditions for solid fish like those guys were getting, be sure, one would be in my shed right now.

Even better, IMHO, would be a SOT based on matt's Sasquatch 16.5 hull bottom panels. Huge load capacity, superb stability and a very good paddler. She would handle that surf with aplomb. Heck, on a good day, i would even take my Sas canoe as she is now out in that. :D
Regards,
Mick

JEMWATERCRAFT Swampgirl; Wadefish;Touring Pirogue;South Wind; P5 ;
Laker X 2, Sasquatch 16.5 T-V 15 Okwata 15:
Cobia 15 (under construction)
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Post by jem »

Hey Ron,

Ask your crew if they could take a measurement for me:

Find a scupper that is at midship, or close to it, and measure the distance from the bottom of the hull to the top of the scupper.

I'm really curious about the Cobra Fish and Dive and the Malibu X-factor. If those hulls were sold locally I'd measure myself.
-Matt. Designer.
tx river rat

Post by tx river rat »

Matt I sent a couple PMS ,might be a day are two but they will get back to me.
Ron

Mick
These guys are serious fisherman they land everything from sharks tarpon redfish (big uglies) black drum and a lot of them , Mike is bad about landing 2 at a time. Also not too far from where they are fishing is a bull shark nursery area and they land one of them once in a while, plus in the marshes and rivers gators are everywhere, they talk about smacking them on the nose with a paddle to make them leave.
Ron
LIGHT KEEPER'S KID
Type of boat I like: WADEFISH 15x32

Post by LIGHT KEEPER'S KID »

I hear u guy's talking about us crazy TEXAS yaker's, and Matt ,Ron's right the Texas market is totaly differant :!: I grew up on the outer banks,and gulf fishing here is a whole new deal :!: SOT are the THING if ur not on one they will look at u like u lost ur MIND :lol: :lol: :lol:
The wise man in the storm prays to God, not for safety from danger, but for deliverance from fear.
__Ralph Waldo Emerson