A take-down canoe ? :o

Area for ideas about designs you want to see. Guests welcome to post!
Bruno
Type of boat I like: I like Trapper canoe.

A take-down canoe ? :o

Post by Bruno »

Hello all
Some people living in an appartment may have difficulties to store a 16ft canoe...
It may sound crazy, but why not a 'take-down canoe', in the style of this take-down pirogue ? :) http://www.duckworksmagazine.com/04/s/p ... /index.cfm :shock:
Have you ever seen any example of that, done on a canoe ?
Bruno
shawnkfl
Type of boat I like: Canoes and Kayaks

Re: A take-down canoe ? :o

Post by shawnkfl »

i built one once. i designed it to be three pieces and each piece nested inside of another. it would fit in my trunk easily and i could set it up/take it down in just a few minutes. paddled really well too. it was all stitch and glue construction too.
Bruno

Post by Bruno »

edited: no links or references to the competition please.

2 pieces might be interesting enough for me, especially
if one piece can be placed in the other, a bit like yours.

Would you have photos, drawings, or further explanations of the assembling ?
Bruno
Bruno

Post by Bruno »

I just ordered the pirogue 500 plans : she looks like a good boat to get started, perhaps for my take-down project, and certainly to have fun with my daughters ! :D
Bruno
Oldsparkey
Design Reviewer
Type of boat I like: Wood boats .

Post by Oldsparkey »

shawnkfl wrote:i built one once. i designed it to be three pieces and each piece nested inside of another. it would fit in my trunk easily and i could set it up/take it down in just a few minutes. paddled really well too. it was all stitch and glue construction too.
I saw one like that on the web ..... it might of been yours. The sections slipped together and the bulkheads made the frames for the boat. The builder used latches similar to the type that hold the hood down on a Jeep Wrangler to hold the sections together.

Chuck.
Remember:
Amateurs built the Ark...... Professionals built the Titanic
Visit some fine paddlers at The Southern Paddler
shawnkfl

Post by shawnkfl »

i built it as a complete canoe first. then i fillets in some bulkheads where i wanted it to separate. i left about an 1/8" gap between then, then just cut it between the bulkheads. i just used bolts and wing nuts to assemble it. it worked fantastic and stored in a really small space. at one point, i was chasing a patent on my idea but money wasn't there for that. then i moved and let the boat go. someone around here has it though. that may be the one you saw online. i had mine so one end stored in the other end, then those two stored in the center section. i built a seat that slipped over the bulkheads and when installed, you couldn't readily tell it was a take down canoe.
Bruno

Post by Bruno »

Chuck and Shawn, thanks for your answer.

I received the emailed plan of the pirogue today. I had been impressed previously by the free plans od the DK touring canoe. Once again, very good work by Matt.

So, I will add bulkheads at the center of the boat, to allow the take-down system. I wonder if the 2 ribs will be useful after that, or if the boat will be stiff enough... What do you think ?
Bruno
hairymick
Design Reviewer
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by hairymick »

G'ay Bruno,

Just my opinion of course, but I don't think the thwartes would be necessary.

I would also recommend you consider shifting the proposed cut further toward one end. This will allow the smaller section to fit inside the other one. Ifyou cut in the middle and install breast-hooks one won't fit inside the other half.
Regards,
Mick

JEMWATERCRAFT Swampgirl; Wadefish;Touring Pirogue;South Wind; P5 ;
Laker X 2, Sasquatch 16.5 T-V 15 Okwata 15:
Cobia 15 (under construction)
Bruno

Post by Bruno »

Thanks Mick, that is judicious. Right : the take-down system would be less interesting if one couldn't fit one section in the other one.
Bruno
shawnkfl

Post by shawnkfl »

i would use the deck as a guide for the bulkhead placement. ie...if your deck is to be 12" long, move the bulkhead back (or forward) 13" give or take. that will let the two halves nest together. plus, build the boat as a whole fist, then add the bulkheads and cut. that will ensure a fair hull when assembled. any holes through the bulkhead, drill oversized. then epoxy fill them, then redrill the needed size.