Native Ultimate Plans

Area for ideas about designs you want to see. Guests welcome to post!
CrkdLtr
Type of boat I like: Pirogue

Re: Native Ultimate Plans

Post by CrkdLtr »

This boat really caught my eye this morning. I still have about 10 or 15 hours left in my TV and if I take on a 3rd boat I may have some internest in this one. Has anyone gotten any further in building it recently?

I assume this boat is a wooden version of this boat?

jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Post by jem »

James is the only one who cut out panels and put them together. Maybe he'd be interested in selling what he has if you're near him in TX. Like I said before, he had some family priorities that needed to come first.

I haven't sent out the plans to anyone except James and to Mick (I like sending crazy boat plans to Mick just to torment him :twisted: ).

I'm willing to send them to other folks who are ready to start making saw dust immediately.
-Matt. Designer.
CrkdLtr
Type of boat I like: Pirogue

Post by CrkdLtr »

jem wrote:James is the only one who cut out panels and put them together. Maybe he'd be interested in selling what he has if you're near him in TX. Like I said before, he had some family priorities that needed to come first.

I haven't sent out the plans to anyone except James and to Mick (I like sending crazy boat plans to Mick just to torment him :twisted: ).

I'm willing to send them to other folks who are ready to start making saw dust immediately.

I hear ya'. I think if I started a 3rd boat my wife would kill me... I guess I need to tell her about Mick and how lucky she has it.

Let me know when you get the itch to prototype this boat and I'll be your test builder. :D

http://www.hobiecat.com/fishing/models_proangler.html
jem
Site Admin

Post by jem »

CrkdLtr wrote:
I assume this boat is a wooden version of this boat?

Correct except I believe I drew up something that will move through the water better, be easier to paddle, and be more stable.

Theirs is a fine craft but it's made for mass production and to keep the weight down if using tupperware as the hull material.

Since the one I drew up is meant to be assembled by everyday folks, some features could be added in to make it perform better. It would cost a lot in labor to build mine as opposed to theirs in a production setting. But if you're building your own, labor is free! :D
-Matt. Designer.
mud390
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by mud390 »

I hear ya'. I think if I started a 3rd boat my wife would kill me... I guess I need to tell her about Mick and how lucky she has it.

Let me know when you get the itch to prototype this boat and I'll be your test builder
I saw one of these in person yesterday, by chance actually. Really nice set up to be honest. Weighs a ton though. Something like 90 pounds, before you add all the necessary equipment. It's nice and wide, so it should be stable, but makes paddling a little more difficult. The really nice feature was the flat floor for standing. To be honest, when I saw it, I thought it looked like very jon boat-ish. Would no doubt be fun though. I'd like to see one made of wood. Question though, could the Mirage drive be utilized in a Jem version of this boat?

Kris
jem
Site Admin

Post by jem »

It could. I have a builder working on installing a plywood drive well I designed on his SOT.
-Matt. Designer.
hairymick
Design Reviewer
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by hairymick »

jem wrote:James is the only one who cut out panels and put them together. Maybe he'd be interested in selling what he has if you're near him in TX. Like I said before, he had some family priorities that needed to come first.

I am still dead keen to build this one. :P The potential as a big fish fighting platform is pretty obvious to me. it is just that Matt keeps coming up with designs that I want to build more. :P

The addition of a Mirage drive and some hobie like deck refinements and a rudder system and perhaps a small sail, would turn a very useful concept into an outstanding boat IMHO.
Regards,
Mick

JEMWATERCRAFT Swampgirl; Wadefish;Touring Pirogue;South Wind; P5 ;
Laker X 2, Sasquatch 16.5 T-V 15 Okwata 15:
Cobia 15 (under construction)
Wannabe

Post by Wannabe »

Matt,
How much draft does a Mirage Drive add to a boat?
Bob
jem
Site Admin

Post by jem »

I think the standard fins are 10" and the turbos are 14" so add that much need water depth under your hull.

Is that what you were asking or...?

I just got to looking at their photo gallery:
http://www.hobiecat.com/fishing/gallery ... =proangler

That is a big hull. Much deeper than the Ultimate. No car topping for that sucker.
-Matt. Designer.
Wannabe

Post by Wannabe »

Matt,
That is what I was looking for. Might be tricky launching off a cement boat ramp unless they fold up or something. Sounds expensive.
Bob