New Buccaneer?

Area for ideas about designs you want to see. Guests welcome to post!
lilmoe
Type of boat I like: buccaneer

New Buccaneer?

Post by lilmoe »

I really am taken with the new Buccaneer, but it is a bit light for me. Could a 12' or so be done to handle 250-275 lbs? Also I love the looks of the Okwata bow-how hard would this be on the Buc? Curious for now, but getting more serious. Thanks

Ron
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Re: New Buccaneer?

Post by jem »

Are you looking to just be able to handle the 250-275 lbs payload or do you desire the longer length as well? I drew up a 10' x 31" version that can take up 300 lbs.

Can you be more specific regarding what you mean about the bow?
-Matt. Designer.
lilmoe

Post by lilmoe »

I really like the rounded entry of the okwata. In the builder log, it seems the panels bow to make a "flair" where they enter the water. It just looks like a knife blade to part the water. Does the buc have this same type of entry?
My thinking on the longer boat was that it would have the narrow width for ease of paddling, and gain the capacity with length-but not too much! Still want to be able to spin on a dime and give back $.o9 change.
jem
Site Admin

Post by jem »

I see you meaning now.

The Okwata has a 90-degree twist on the bottom panels that make that rounded entry.

The Buc 10-26 is a short boat and it would be hard to incorporate that twist in such a short hull and have the plywood except that bend. It can be done, but if you don't use top quality ply (marine grade Okoume), it'll run a good chance of snapping. Plus that style of twist reduces capacity some.

You'd need about 12'-13' in length if you just wanted that sort of entry in the front but not in the back. If you want the entry and exit rounded, then you might be better off considering building the Okwata instead since it has that entry and the desired capacity.

Also look at the Freedom line. That might be more appealing.
-Matt. Designer.
lilmoe

Post by lilmoe »

Thanks for the info. I looked (drooled) over the Freedom, but I think I want a V bottom on this boat. So many choices, but what's a fella to do? Going to have to study and rethink, and drool some more, Thanks again, and a Jem of some sort is coming to my house.
hairymick
Design Reviewer
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by hairymick »

G'day Ron and welcome aboard mate.

Your request typifies the ideal kayak, fast, maneuverable and small - but still able to carry significant payload. I have built a couple of boats now :oops: searching for this "ideal" boat and Laker probably comes closer than most.

Okwata is a superior kayak - no question about that, but it is also a more challenging build.

Load capacity equals boat volume. I weigh around 200 pounds and am probably at the upper end of the load capacity of a laker 13. At a guess re your stated load capacity required, i would recommend a laker 15. It will still be way more maneuverable than any other 15 footer around and have a turn of speed that will surprise you. Mate, Laker is a very, very good kayak. I believe there are more Lakers being built in Australia right now than all other stitch and glue kayaks (all brands) combined. There is a very good reason for this. Aussies love a bargain but we love very good boats even more. :D
Regards,
Mick

JEMWATERCRAFT Swampgirl; Wadefish;Touring Pirogue;South Wind; P5 ;
Laker X 2, Sasquatch 16.5 T-V 15 Okwata 15:
Cobia 15 (under construction)
tx river rat
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by tx river rat »

The T-V will do the job,had over 500 lbs in mine on several ocasions
Eon
lilmoe

Post by lilmoe »

I was (and still am) intrigued by the looks of the Buc-I just need a bit more capacity. I weigh 200 plus a bit, and want some gear capacity (Yes, maybe beer, too). In my state, if its less than 13'-no sail, no power, I don't hav3e to register it and put buttugly 3" letters & numbers on it. This is the original idea--. Maybe I'm nuts but I hate to give the gov't-even if its just "the state" any more leverage on my life. I've got the free Laker plans, but the Buc has really taken my fancy. I just like it, but its not quite right for me either. Thanks for the help and input.

Ron
jem
Site Admin

Post by jem »

The 10' x 31" is in the works and will be the next size Buc to come out.
-Matt. Designer.