Search by subject matter

Area for ideas about designs you want to see. Guests welcome to post!
Artfull Dodger
Type of boat I like: issaquah

Search by subject matter

Post by Artfull Dodger »

:idea:
Whilst this is not as much an idea about design or a new build however more about a simpler way of searching for information, so apologies if this is the wrong forum. I have followed builds and discussions for some time and find this site to be a wealth of knowledge in both information and recommendation's by people who have either been there and done that or simply know how. What I would like to see is a way to search information by a particular topic or descriptive subject i.e Rudder, Kayak, Scupper. My thought process behind this is a) quick way to relative information b) valuable recommendations from builders and products that have proven to work and offer value for money.

This is certainly not a suggestion to endorse a certain product but more a way in which people can group there ideas and experience in an easy quick reference guide. I can confess to having no IT skills so I cannot fathom the complexity to arrange such a thing and may be way off the mark.

Just an :idea:
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Re: Search by subject matter

Post by jem »

It's a good idea. Best I can offer is the search function that is near the top of the page, on the gray bar just under the JEM logo.
-Matt. Designer.
slider
Type of boat I like: Pirogue

Post by slider »

You can use the :site function on google. To do this you would type the following for example

scupper site:jemwatercaft.com

Not 100% but that should give you posts only from jemwatercraft.com that contain the word scupper. Of course you could put words other than scupper or sites other than jem, but the idea is that it searches the words you specify on the site you specify. The format is "word(s) you want to search" :site "website you want to search (with the.com)"

Hope this helps. Be careful, the fallacy is that you save time with more efficient searches, but in reality you may find yourself reading tons of great info for hours when you could be working on a boat :o .
Artfull Dodger
Type of boat I like: issaquah

Post by Artfull Dodger »

Hey Slider,

Thanks a heap that works a treat I can now refine my searches and make the boss happier knowing I am more efficient whilst at my desk at work, you gotta love efficiency. :lol: :D