How bout this?

Area for ideas about designs you want to see. Guests welcome to post!
slider
Type of boat I like: Pirogue

How bout this?

Post by slider »

Native touts it as a stand up paddling yak. Not sure I want to do that, but I am thinking I would like to have something like this - a simple SOT without scuppers, hatches or a cockpit. Seems like it would let any water that got on the deck just run down the vee and out the back of the boat. Would that work?

I would put some type of SOT seat on it with a board or something spanning the vee so my crotch wouldn't catch all the water :shock: .

Maybe with foot braces this could pull double duty and surf some as well, seated/riding style not hanging ten. Might be a great little yak to take to the beach.
Last edited by slider on Sat May 28, 2011 7:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Re: How bout this?

Post by jem »

That would be pretty easy to draw up and build.

I bet a wide paddleboard like this would be real good in the calm shallows for site fishing, if you have the balance. Fun in the surf too, if you have the balance.
-Matt. Designer.
Oldsparkey
Design Reviewer
Type of boat I like: Wood boats .

Post by Oldsparkey »

slider...

They are using those down in the Keys and South Florida a lot. They stand on them and paddle , pole them along for fun or for fishing , great shallow water craft for the flats.

Those ;last heavy rains we had about a week ago down in Homestead , Fl , the newspaper had pictures of some folks getting around in the flooded streets and areas with them.

Chuck.
Remember:
Amateurs built the Ark...... Professionals built the Titanic
Visit some fine paddlers at The Southern Paddler
jem
Site Admin

Post by jem »

I sketched one up pretty quick. No extra features on this like the V deck to shed water but it wouldn't be hard to draw in. A neat feature would be to add an additional split tail piece on the back so you could rig a wooden skeg that's held down in position by a bungee but kicks up if you drag across a rock.

The overall shape needs a little more refining but it would be an easy build that could be customized with little extra effort.

-Matt. Designer.
slider

Post by slider »

I am starting to like this one more and more ... I really want a wooden SOT to go with my new Touring Pirogue (not even wet yet), also like the simplicity of something like this. One day maybe a Sabalo but this could be a great first SOT build. Perhaps I could convince my wife it is for my daughter...

Matt, what length/width are you thinking?
olsnappa
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by olsnappa »

Yep!!......I'd have a go at this one..... :)
John.
1 Cape Fear Sit In....a couple more planned
2 Laker 14's
1 Paddle board

"People who don't make mistakes don't make anything"
jem
Site Admin

Post by jem »

Drawn as 14 x 32" but that could be adjusted. I did some research on the stand-up paddle board and the widest they get is about 32".
-Matt. Designer.
slider

Post by slider »

Would it be an issue if this were totally sealed in fiberglass - I know a few have concerns about sealed bulkheads, etc expanding and cracking?

One more plus - no inside hull to glass :D
jem
Site Admin

Post by jem »

Well you'd need to apply fiberglass tape to the inside lower hull seams. But it would framed (somewhat) on the inside so it wouldn't take much.

The completely sealed hull always offers a minor risk of condensation. But I had prototype canoe that had sealed end chambers that sat in my back yard completely exposed for about 4 years (it was an design experiment that didn't work so well. :roll: ) and when I finally cut it up and opened the end chambers, no moisture or sign of anything going bad.

If it were me, I'd take advantage of the small storage area under the deck and install a plastic twist-out hatch for car keys, emergency flare, whistle, snack, etc, etc. But that's just me.

If you guys are serious and would commit to buying the plans, I can further the refinement of the design along. I'd certainly wouldn't mind adding it to the line up.
-Matt. Designer.
olsnappa
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by olsnappa »

Matt, I'd definitely buy the plans for this one.
I had a friend ask me if I'd make him a paddleboard for his kids and stable enough for fishing.
I said I would if I could find the plans...... :)
I'd been thinking of PMing you about just such a craft when this appeared..... :D :D
Mind you, with the Laker production line going I don't know when I'll find the time!.... :?
John.
1 Cape Fear Sit In....a couple more planned
2 Laker 14's
1 Paddle board

"People who don't make mistakes don't make anything"