How bout this?

Area for ideas about designs you want to see. Guests welcome to post!
Yohan1973
Type of boat I like: fly fishing SKIFF.

Re: How bout this?

Post by Yohan1973 »

Here is another that is pontoon style. I was thinking, if I were going to add a trolling motor something similar in design to this would be cool because you wouldn't have to use a tillar extender and weight would be centralized. The sponsons would have to be larger though. It could be broken down easily too. Matt, I'm not trying to side rail your design efforts here. I'm just excited that's all! lol

http://www.standupzone.com/forum/index.php?topic=5165.0
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Post by jem »

Here's some sketches of the invert v concept. A design like this let's the board sit an inch deeper in the water but at 32" x 12, it still has 350+ lbs of capacity.

Sitting an inch deeper in the water will increase stability quite a bit.

Trade off is she won't move as fast.

-Matt. Designer.
jbo_c
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by jbo_c »

You're the designer, not me, but wouldn't it be better for the bottom of the boat to leave the water at the transom to make paddling easier? I know that's usually the M.O. for a boat that is to be paddled.

Jbo
jem
Site Admin

Post by jem »

On a pontoon hull...one with two different hulls.

This one would be easier to build. But it's just a concept idea.
-Matt. Designer.
Yohan1973

Post by Yohan1973 »

jbo_c wrote:You're the designer, not me, but wouldn't it be better for the bottom of the boat to leave the water at the transom to make paddling easier? I know that's usually the M.O. for a boat that is to be paddled.

Jbo
Boards vs boats, I think that is the delima here. Boards typically do have some rocker at the rear, 1-4 inchs depending on useage. Surf and white water have more rear rocker than flat water boards. The going trend (for good reason) is to have less rocker or even dead zero rocker at the rear end of a board for flat water. Due to the low volume vs live/dead load that boards are subject to...even if you design a boards rear to "leave" the water i.e. increased rocker...it's gonna stay in the water and your front deck is going to ride high. You are on to something though. Usually for ease of paddling the rear of the board will have a foiled shap to it (in plan) to minimize drag caused by turbulence. Also, another thing that can be done is to taper the rear of the board (imagin slicing a section through the rear of the board from side-to-side. The bottom of the board will tapper in much more than the top. I don't know what this is call in "boat talk" lol
jem
Site Admin

Post by jem »

This thread has a few interesting options. I want to really move forward with one of these some I'm wondering: Of those who would buy a set of plans immediately:

1) what would be the desired weight capacity on board
2) desired length
3) a "typical" hull design or the inverted V or other specialized shape for the purposes of stability (sacrificing some speed and adding build complication)
-Matt. Designer.
jbo_c
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by jbo_c »

If I were to build one:

1) 275# or so (me plus lunch and light gear)

2) 12-14 feet

3) Either way. Simple shallow standard vee would be fine. I wouldn't even squawk over a flat bottomed version since negligible chop would be the order of the day whatever the bottom shape. I suppose I'd be most likely to build the simplest one since it would duplicate several other boats I have in many ways. It's so specific in function, I would expect very few to have it as their only boat. Thus, the simpler, faster build with the least material demands will be built in the highest volume. Maybe a flat bottom with an option for a moderate vee if desired like the Laker.

Jbo
olsnappa

Post by olsnappa »

My preference would be something very similar to the board pictured at the start of the thread.

1/ Don't know exactly but sufficient for a couple of kids to paddle either solo or tandem and generally muck around on.
Or one average size adult

2/ For that purpose, my preference would be 10 - 12 feet

3/ As with Jbo, a simple vee or flat bottom.

It would be good to have a couple of size/capacity options of the same basic design.
I'd definitely buy plans for this...... Already have friends hankering for one! :D
John.
1 Cape Fear Sit In....a couple more planned
2 Laker 14's
1 Paddle board

"People who don't make mistakes don't make anything"
Yohan1973

Post by Yohan1973 »

I agree with jbo_c
For me, 12'-14', 32" wide Vee hull like the image you sent me by email.
270-280 lbs displacement is just fine.
The other ideas can be explored later if you like...

I'm IN!
Yohan1973

Post by Yohan1973 »

Has this design been dropped or is it still on the drafting ta...I mean, is it still in Rhino? ;-)