How bout this?

Area for ideas about designs you want to see. Guests welcome to post!
jbo_c
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Re: How bout this?

Post by jbo_c »

I don't mean a fish cooler, just a lunch cooler and a lean to. With a 5 foot cable for the trolling motor, it wouldn't put that much weight in the back, especially with me in the front/middle just ahead of the battery. If you didn't try to run full tilt, climbing the bow wave and sinking the transom wouldn't be a problem.

I'd take it the way Matt has it done up top and make my little changes on my own.

Jbo
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Post by jem »

Well I'm not 100% sure of the final design parameters but this thread should provide all the info I need. Great discussion!

I was thinking about adding a V bottom to improve tracking and not needing a removable skeg. But I'm not 100% sure. Gluing on a bottom runner strip would address that easily.

Thoughts?

As draw, this hull would draft 250 at a 4" waterline. But that may change as I envision this leaning more toward a rec kayak than a surf board in functionality.
-Matt. Designer.
jbo_c
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by jbo_c »

The vee is probably a good idea, although a long skeg/runner would be OK too I suppose. I would think if the vee was made sharp enough to help with tracking, it would really increase the overall draft on the centerline - super shallow draft being one of the things that would attract many fishing people to the design.

But without one or the other, it would have to be very frustrating to paddle even short distances.

Jbo
jem
Site Admin

Post by jem »

I was thinking of stretching this design to 13' to get a little more displacement.

Also thought about adding a slight inverted V. That would allow the hull to sit lower in the water. On a wider boat, the more hull in the water, the more stability. But it would add a little more surface resistance. It would have a "pontoon" effect adding stability. I'll have to run the numbers to see if it would be worth while. Likely not.

The front bow has a sharp/pointed entrance but I'll see about rounding that off like the Freedom hull.
-Matt. Designer.
jbo_c

Post by jbo_c »

I like the inverted vee idea - kind of like a Texas Sled sort of thing.

Honestly, though, the more I think about it, the more I think it would (for me) overlap too much with the Paddling Pram design in functionality, which is definitely next for me.

I'd still buy the plans though. It might hit further down the line - after all, I've only got four boats, five with the Paddling Pram. You can't reasonably expect me to get by with only that while there are other designs out there I don't have, but need.

13 feet works. Go JEM!!!

Jbo

PS What's the height from the bottom of the boat at the center line to the top(currently just for reference).
jem
Site Admin

Post by jem »

jbo_c wrote:
PS What's the height from the bottom of the boat at the center line to the top(currently just for reference).
6"
-Matt. Designer.
jem
Site Admin

Post by jem »

Interesting: I drew the original hull with an inverted v and it drafted the hull 1" deeper in the water. That will increase stability. Anyone who has paddled a tippy hull and lowered their seating position a little and tried again can attest to the increased stability.
-Matt. Designer.
Yohan1973
Type of boat I like: fly fishing SKIFF.

Post by Yohan1973 »

You wouldn't want to add too much vee though. What I am going to say might sound strange to some but too much vee in a craft this size will hinder the initial stability too much. It will tend to want to come to rest on one of the vee plans and not settle in the middle like a boat would normally do. You would have to add more weight. However the inverted vee is an interesting concept. I have seen two boards that were similar to this but they were EPS boards. Speaking for other types of boards. I've also seen pics of true pontoon style stand up boards. One of them was entered in the Kenalu down winder about a year ago. Me personally I would prefer a 12' and a 14' over a single 13'. I would use the 12 in fresh water creeks and a 12' craft is as long as I can use for eddy parking. However...beggers will not be choosers here! ;-) I currently use my 11' yak for eddy parking and it work well but the dang yak is 70 lbs and I can't stand in it.

By the way, check these pics out. It's the Stu Kenson Kiwi Sled 12.5 class race board. Something like this foil design with 30-32 wide would rock for me. However, not having that flat back like you had designed would/could prevent the use of a commercial kayak skeg for those whom might want one.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_2xCw5doZ8_8/S ... G_2246.JPG

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_2xCw5doZ8_8/S ... G_2242.JPG
Yohan1973

Post by Yohan1973 »

A few pics from my vault. This first one might interest you Matt.
Based on your inverted V description I think the bow would end up sim. to this right?

Also, this seems to be an interesting design to try out in stitch and glue also. It would sit pretty deep into the water though. For those of us who fish the flats...we like to run shallow. :wink:

Also, check out this monster 18 footer. She is an insainly fast SUP though.....
Yohan1973

Post by Yohan1973 »

As for skegs and such. I don't know if any of you guys SUP or surf but fins not only help you go straight, they help with stability too. As the board tilts to one or the other side the flat surface of the fin pushes against a column of water. That water offers some resistance to overturning that can translate into initial stability.......I guess kinda like those sail boats with the long keel (I don't sail). Anyway, If there is any flat surface at the rear of your final design I plan to add a commercially available kayak skeg. Like this one:
http://www.kayakproshop.com/KayakSkeg.html

If not, I might buy or fabricate something like this:
http://www.superiorkayaks.com/superiork ... 09_007.htm
The OTHER S&G company has a kit but I will link to them. I just thought about it and it might be rude for me to do that.
Another option for you guys with those fancy wood shops (I envy you) is to build a foot controled rudder system like the Starboards (F14 and F18) have.