How bout this?

Area for ideas about designs you want to see. Guests welcome to post!
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Re: How bout this?

Post by jem »

The V tunnel is off the board for now.
-Matt. Designer.
Yohan1973
Type of boat I like: fly fishing SKIFF.

Post by Yohan1973 »

jem wrote:The V tunnel is off the board for now.
Sorry, I was refering to the original hull without the tunnel (SUP project as a whole actually).
Is that one off the board too?
jem
Site Admin

Post by jem »

Original is still in the works. Just trying to nail down what I want to do with the design. This image inspires some thought.

-Matt. Designer.
Oldsparkey
Design Reviewer
Type of boat I like: Wood boats .

Post by Oldsparkey »

A day in the Glades during the wet season.

Different styles of boats for different paddling areas. Land on one of those Hammocks ( Islands) in the picture behind them and you will find all sorts of slippery critters.

Chuck.
Remember:
Amateurs built the Ark...... Professionals built the Titanic
Visit some fine paddlers at The Southern Paddler
jem
Site Admin

Post by jem »

Ok that picture got me going enough to finalize the design. Took some attributes from the Freedom design.

14' x 32" [4.2m x .8m]

Will perform nicely up to 300 lbs [136k] on board. Can take 350 [159k] but it'll start getting less responsive. Should be able to build under 40 lbs [18k] with good materials and careful building. Rigging will add more to that.

The intent for this design is easy building for those who want a hull that can go very shallow in the water, and is stable enough to stand and pole if needed (if you have a decent sense of balance). There's only 1" [25.4mm] of rocker so no need for skegs unless you want it to track hard. Installing a runner/skeg would be easy to do.

As a "Stand Up Paddle Board" it will perform nicely but it's intended for shallow water sitting, kneeling, or poling first.
-Matt. Designer.
Yohan1973

Post by Yohan1973 »

That is Glen Simmons in the picture right? He's like legendary around these parts! I've got pictures of his aprentice making one of them. So it "tortured wood boat building" still considered S&G?

Matt, your latest rendering looks great!
Oldsparkey
Design Reviewer
Type of boat I like: Wood boats .

Post by Oldsparkey »

Yohan1973 wrote:That is Glen Simmons in the picture right? He's like legendary around these parts! I've got pictures of his aprentice making one of them. So it "tortured wood boat building" still considered S&G?

Matt, your latest rendering looks great!
Here is what I located about the picture. Yohan1973 you have a good eye for folks. :D :D

Glen Simmons (foreground) and apprentice Donald Edwards navigating their way through the "River of Grass" on glades skiffs: Florida City, Florida
Remember:
Amateurs built the Ark...... Professionals built the Titanic
Visit some fine paddlers at The Southern Paddler
Yohan1973

Post by Yohan1973 »

Oldsparkey wrote: Here is what I located about the picture. Yohan1973 you have a good eye for folks. :D :D
Glen Simmons (foreground) and apprentice Donald Edwards navigating their way through the "River of Grass" on glades skiffs: Florida City, Florida
Thanks, I wonder if there are any videos of him building his skiff?
I'm a very late bloomer when it comes to most aspects "waterman" livestyles but some of these older gentilmen whome grew up surrounded by all of this "glory" facinate me. I bet he told the BEST fire-side stories!
jem
Site Admin

Post by jem »

Worked on the paddleboard for about 45 minutes this morning. Coming along nicely. This will be a fun design to watch get built. The customization options are extremely simple with endless possibilities.
-Matt. Designer.
Yohan1973

Post by Yohan1973 »

jem wrote:Worked on the paddleboard for about 45 minutes this morning. Coming along nicely. This will be a fun design to watch get built. The customization options are extremely simple with endless possibilities.
Just tell us when we can start writting the check! ;-)
This one...will be my first JEMcraft! I'm excited!
Me, personally I will use mine for standing 80% of the time but I did find this...
I don't know if it would last with the super wet condition a board will have it exposed to but someone else might find building (or buying) on of those useful. I just bought a used Bosch barrle grip jig saw too. I can't waite to put it to use! ;-)