Cargo canoe

Area for ideas about designs you want to see. Guests welcome to post!
Yohan1973
Type of boat I like: fly fishing SKIFF.

Re: Cargo canoe

Post by Yohan1973 »

jem wrote:I edited my own post because if you can't say something nice..... :twisted:
OUCH!. Hmmm, I hope I didn't tick the man himself off. Just thought I'd share a "humorous" story..
jem wrote:...I'll play with a sketch and see if anything comes out of it. Powerboats really aren't my thing.

It would be interesting to see what you come up with. I don't know how many people would be interested though. I sure would though.

jbo_c wrote:Took a look at that Rob White boat. I like it, but it seems a waste to build it at 16 feet. 18 - 20 would be more desirable to me.

Proportions are very prettty. It's a very pleasing boat to look at.
Jbo

You know, after reading a little more...I think that deep down,I have to agree with you. I've been wanting to build a 16 footer for a while now. The main reason has always been building/ storage space. But I agree, for running and load, a 18-20 would be a better setup. 18 seems to be the magic number.
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Post by jem »

Yohan1973 wrote:
jem wrote:I edited my own post because if you can't say something nice..... :twisted:
OUCH!. Hmmm, I hope I didn't tick the man himself off. Just thought I'd share a "humorous" story..
oops. no no no.... it was a comment about ECC. I had some interactions with one of the owners that I commented on that I should have kept to myself. :lol:
-Matt. Designer.
jem
Site Admin

Post by jem »

Have you seen the DK dingy 18?

http://www.boatplans.dk/boat_plans.asp?id=56

might be a little bigger than you're looking for.
-Matt. Designer.
LIGHT KEEPER'S KID
Type of boat I like: WADEFISH 15x32

Post by LIGHT KEEPER'S KID »

Yohan1973,my family are the founders of St.Augustine,Florida and this is the True Meaning of the term "Florida Cracker" and only a true "Floridian" would know the Meaning :wink: Not everything is about "Race" in this country or "Secret Code Words" :wink: And the people of your office are "uninformed" of the state they live in :roll: Not only that my Father in the 60's tryed to sell our home to a (Colored)(Your word not mine) sargent so that he could make sure his family had a nice home while he served his country in Vietnam which put our family at Great Risk from a Raciest Builder(KKK MEMBER) in Ft Bragg area. I don't take Racism very lightly :wink: I hope your joke wasn't aimed at me :(

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Florida_cracker

Mike
The wise man in the storm prays to God, not for safety from danger, but for deliverance from fear.
__Ralph Waldo Emerson
Oldsparkey
Design Reviewer
Type of boat I like: Wood boats .

Post by Oldsparkey »

While we are on the subject ... I always thought the term Cracker came from the cow boy days here in Florida when the riders would use there short whips to move the cows along , the cracking of the whips.
Which they still do today when rounding up the cows and driving them to the pens for loading to market.

You can call me a Cracker ( I enjoy popping my whip and making it do what I want it to do ) or even a Red Neck if you wish since they donate some hard working folks who always get the job done and do not fuss about doing it. If it wasn't for them there would not be a Florida as we know it. :D

My daughters refer to them selves as Crackers since they were born here in Central Florida and I might be a transplant from Texas but I claim to be a stale cracker ( not a real one) from Texas. Heck you can call me anything except a yankee or late for a meal. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Chuck.
Remember:
Amateurs built the Ark...... Professionals built the Titanic
Visit some fine paddlers at The Southern Paddler
Yohan1973

Post by Yohan1973 »

That is a very interesting bit of history. I did not know it's true meanin untill a few years ago either. You'd be suprised how much of the outside (out of Florida) world doesn't know. I grew up ( in a intergrated community) thinking it was an insult.
LIGHT KEEPER'S KID wrote:(Colored)(Your word not mine)
I tend to use it jokingly and in a historical sense...as if to convey an early 1900's sorta mentality...hard to explain.
I'm not insulted by it when used in context. People exert too much energy being sensitive these days! lol
LIGHT KEEPER'S KID wrote:I don't take Racism very lightly :wink: I hope your joke wasn't aimed at me :(
No sir, not at all. It was not aimed at anyone. It was simply a story I wanted to share based on my own experience with the word. I think it was not too long before that event that I MYSELF learned what a florida cracker really was. To be honest, I envy the early settlers. Rumor has it that my own family has some historical roots in florida leading back to Fort Negro and Andrew Jackson's long ride. It's unconfirmed though. One of those things that dies with the older generations before passed on. So unfortunate! Anyway...
Oldsparkey wrote:While we are on the subject ... I always thought the term Cracker came from the cow boy days here in Florida when the riders would use there short whips to move the cows along , the cracking of the whips.
Which they still do today when rounding up the cows and driving them to the pens for loading to market. .
That was one of the origins I learned about but then learned about the one that Light keeper refered to. I don't know which one is more accurate. Believe is a powerful thing. If enough people believe the "whip" version...then?

Me, I've never cracked a whip but I'm pretty good with a Sjambock! lol

Didn't this thread start off about a cargo canoe. Gee, I did it again! Diverted another thread! lol
LIGHT KEEPER'S KID
Type of boat I like: WADEFISH 15x32

Post by LIGHT KEEPER'S KID »

As we are keepers of a Wooden History of Boats,we also are keepers of other historys. It's also is our responsibility to keep those who see our words in the context of the original meaning and not some slang meaning of the uninformed people who are damed to repeat thier mistakes :roll: Which in translation means,who cares if they don't know the meaning :roll: Lets talk about Wood Boats :lol: :lol: :lol:

Mike :wink:
The wise man in the storm prays to God, not for safety from danger, but for deliverance from fear.
__Ralph Waldo Emerson
jem
Site Admin

Post by jem »

Reading this thread, it's obvious no ill will or racial slurs were intended. But am going to suggest we try to stay on the topic of the cargo canoe and let the rest go.
-Matt. Designer.
Oldsparkey
Design Reviewer
Type of boat I like: Wood boats .

Post by Oldsparkey »

jem wrote:Reading this thread, it's obvious no ill will or racial slurs were intended. But am going to suggest we try to stay on the topic of the cargo canoe and let the rest go.
Boats are a lot more fun and the guys who paddle them and enjoy the camping , fishing and all of the rest of the pleasures we make them for.

I have found that it is not the person but there boat that impresses a person , especially after there boat is appreciated and the chieftainship that was put into it. :D

Heck even folks will ask me about the boats I make and who would ever want to talk to an person like me. A grumpy old fart , almost prehistoric , that likes to say what he thinks. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Our love for the wood boats is what is the binding agent in what we do and why we do it. Nothing more and nothing less. Just something really simple in this confusing , messed up , world that all of us can relate to with some simple pleasures or relaxation for our life and to have some fun with. Call them our time , worry and stress free escape capsule because that is what they are. ( Any way for me they are )

I don't know about you but I have made friends all over this world talking about boats and building them. Then they share there trips with me , I have paddled with them ( In my mind , while reading there reports ) and know every one of them and some of there families.
I am assuming they have done the same with my building experiences and trip reports . Someday we might get to do both in person , The Good Lord Willing. :D

Chuck.
Remember:
Amateurs built the Ark...... Professionals built the Titanic
Visit some fine paddlers at The Southern Paddler
Yohan1973

Post by Yohan1973 »

Amen to that Oldsparkey! I've been imagining in my head this watercraft. This "cargo canoe." The tool I will craft and use to obtain that little piece of aquatic bliss that we all seek right here on earth. A debate rages on in my mind. It's a debate stifled by my own boat building inexperience but it pits stitch and glue vs. strip built. Is it practical to build a working boat using strip built tech. The hull that exist in my head seems more possible using strips of ceder than S&G. I admit though I'm not completely familiar with the limitation of ply. Compound curves (even if simple) are not suggested in ply right?

Matt, yeah. I have seen the DK dingy 18. It is nice but yes, it is too big.