Okwata tandem for bigger people???

Area for ideas about designs you want to see. Guests welcome to post!
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Re: Okwata tandem for bigger people???

Post by jem »

Narwhale wrote:Matt,
That is pretty slick looking...must be a larger, swedish form Laker.
What are the basic measurements and expected displacements?
Do you have strong feelings over a single large cockpit vs two smaller ones?
Is it a slight V-bottom, or flat?
Rich S.
It is a hybrid of several design style I have.

She is 19'10 x 30". Mick I know you have concern about getting up around 30" but she will be easy to paddle with the tumblehome panels and trust me.... she's gonna be quick! I need those couple extra inches to get the displacement with kayak performance.

I planned on 2 cockpit configurations: 2 individual and 1 long one. Maybe some different sizes with the individuals.

4" waterline will hold 460 lbs gross.
4.5" : 538
5": 613

Slight v bottom.

Rocker: 2.5" forward and 1.5" aft.
-Matt. Designer.
craiggamesh
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by craiggamesh »

Looks good. How will she work in the open ocean?
Regards,

Craig
------------------------------------------------------
If I had more clamps, I could build more boats.
jem
Site Admin

Post by jem »

It has generous rocker so it should handle waves ok. It's still a long tandem so the skill of both paddlers will be a main factor. The front has a continuous flare so punching over waves should not be an issue.

I might raise the bow height just a bit more but I don't want to go too high so the wind grabs it and turns it into a sail.
-Matt. Designer.
hairymick
Design Reviewer
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by hairymick »

Matt, that is perfect for my needs, 30" is fine, My partner will love this boat and the extra stability will be a bonus. :D

Would you like to do this as a custom job? no problem, :D -just let me know mate. eitherway, please draw it up as shown, - 2 cockpits etc. This will be my next build.

I'm inspired again!!!
Last edited by hairymick on Sat May 22, 2010 5:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Regards,
Mick

JEMWATERCRAFT Swampgirl; Wadefish;Touring Pirogue;South Wind; P5 ;
Laker X 2, Sasquatch 16.5 T-V 15 Okwata 15:
Cobia 15 (under construction)
jem
Site Admin

Post by jem »

She seemed to draw up easy. Didn't have to fight with it. So it's getting done next. As with all new designs, it's the assembly instructions that take the longest. :roll:
-Matt. Designer.
hairymick
Design Reviewer

Post by hairymick »

Slightly higher bow would be a very good thing mate.

Craig, this bottom shape is very similar to a Laker. I have surfed in mine and the difference between this bow shap and a more traditional S&G is remarkable!

The traditional sea kayak bow in all sea kayaks, all of them, tends to make the boat pearl to varying degrees when running down the face of a wave. The bow on these boats works more like a surfboard and the boats are way less likely to broach on the paddler.

The downside is that when punching into waves or chop, they tend to pound a bit when crashing over the wave tops as opposed to parting them like a spear. As in all things kayak, everything is a compromise.
Regards,
Mick

JEMWATERCRAFT Swampgirl; Wadefish;Touring Pirogue;South Wind; P5 ;
Laker X 2, Sasquatch 16.5 T-V 15 Okwata 15:
Cobia 15 (under construction)
tx river rat

Post by tx river rat »

Narwhale
Here is the link to the Cuda.

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2401

Matt is the 30 inch width at the top or bottom,what is the bottom width.
You might think about making a top mounted rudder,it has several advantages,simple mounting ,just a hole threw the top deck into an endpour.,so shape of the stern is no problem. Also by beinng mounted higher you never have water drag on the brackets. I notice most of the K1 are going to this mount.
Ron
Narwhale
Type of boat I like: kayaks

Post by Narwhale »

....just know I'm going to dream of this kayak tonight...
:oops:
....I know I'm getting old when I dream at night of boats instead of hot, fast young things......

Rich S.
craiggamesh

Post by craiggamesh »

hairymick wrote:Slightly higher bow would be a very good thing mate.

Craig, this bottom shape is very similar to a Laker. I have surfed in mine and the difference between this bow shap and a more traditional S&G is remarkable!

The traditional sea kayak bow in all sea kayaks, all of them, tends to make the boat pearl to varying degrees when running down the face of a wave. The bow on these boats works more like a surfboard and the boats are way less likely to broach on the paddler.

The downside is that when punching into waves or chop, they tend to pound a bit when crashing over the wave tops as opposed to parting them like a spear. As in all things kayak, everything is a compromise.

Thanks Mick. I have been considering building a tandem and this would be easily adapted to a plywood/Cedar Strip Hybrid.
Regards,

Craig
------------------------------------------------------
If I had more clamps, I could build more boats.
fredo
Type of boat I like: laker 13

Post by fredo »

hi matt, hows the tandem coming along?