Okwata tandem for bigger people???

Area for ideas about designs you want to see. Guests welcome to post!
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Re: Okwata tandem for bigger people???

Post by jem »

I got a pretty significant offer to do some custom work that I couldn't say no to. So this got bumped to #2.

But I have made some progress. I have the 3 deck choices all laid out: Two 18" x 33" cockpits, two 18" x 40" cockpits, and one 23" x 112" cockpit.

Hey I could use some thoughts about how to sell these options: Let the builder choose or include all three? Second option means I'll have to increase the cost of the plans.
-Matt. Designer.

Post by Guest »

Matt,

I would be interested in a tandem boat also. My wife would go with me, but she just likes to sit in the front most of the time. When my son goes, that would be a different story, he would paddle his skinny butt off. The Freedom series sounds fine, I am about to start the Freedom fifteen I bought the same time I did the Buccaneer. Would be real interested in a tandem version. I am pretty sure several of us would like to try that one. We can always tell the wife we are building it so the two of us can spend some 'quality' time together.

Thanks Dave
David Kopera
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by David Kopera »

I would think let them specify which they want, maybe give each a model number corresponding to the differences. Maybe "Traditonal", "Large Double" and the "Large Open Single". Just a thought....... :o
jem
Site Admin

Post by jem »

David Kopera wrote:I would think let them specify which they want, maybe give each a model number corresponding to the differences. Maybe "Traditonal", "Large Double" and the "Large Open Single". Just a thought....... :o
Oh yea I'd definitely spell out the difference, pros, and cons.
-Matt. Designer.
hairymick
Design Reviewer
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by hairymick »

Mate,

I would offer a standard ie small cockpits and the other as alternative options - builder's choice.
Regards,
Mick

JEMWATERCRAFT Swampgirl; Wadefish;Touring Pirogue;South Wind; P5 ;
Laker X 2, Sasquatch 16.5 T-V 15 Okwata 15:
Cobia 15 (under construction)
Graybeard
Type of boat I like: Wood and SOF kayaks.

Post by Graybeard »

I guess I'm with Mick. I'd rather pay the "normal" price for a set of plans with one option. Then, if I changed my mind, pay $15 or so for builder's option that had the other two. If I had to pay full price, I'd probably just "design" it up as I built it and screw it up. :oops:

Hopefully that's still fair to you. I know your time is valuable - it's just that the options have an incremental value, but only if I need them.

PS - If you don't mind my asking, do you figure out how many copies you need to sell to make NRE, or just choose popular niches and figure it'll work out in the long run?
jem
Site Admin

Post by jem »

I have a lose pricing model based on complexity of the plans and how good a job I feel I did on them. But when all else fails, I just use a number that feels about right.

My fixed costs are pretty low with the way I run my business. So I'm able to keep prices low.
-Matt. Designer.
Graybeard
Type of boat I like: Wood and SOF kayaks.

Post by Graybeard »

Thanks.
I'm sure that addiction thing helps keep advertising costs low and sales volume up :-)

Hello, I'm Paul, and I'm a boat buildaholic.
jem
Site Admin

Post by jem »

Graybeard wrote:Thanks.
I'm sure that addiction thing helps keep advertising costs low and sales volume up :-)

Hello, I'm Paul, and I'm a boat buildaholic.
it's MY kind of fishing! :mrgreen:
-Matt. Designer.
tx river rat

Post by tx river rat »

Are these ready yet?
Ron