Revised Bluefin 12' fishing SOT

Area for ideas about designs you want to see. Guests welcome to post!
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Re: Revised Bluefin 12' fishing SOT

Post by jem »

Would the console extend all the way to the front cockpit wall?
-Matt. Designer.
jem
Site Admin

Post by jem »

Regarding the bottom hull panels on the 12: How hard was it to get the bottom panel to bend into place?
-Matt. Designer.
scottrunnr
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by scottrunnr »

Matt,
As I recall the bottom panel was only hard to bend at the very aft end. Everything else was fine.

The fish-storage/console needs to be 30+ inches long. Probably need an inch or so from the front edge of the angled cockpit seat to the start of the fish-storage/console. I'm not sure how long it is from the front edge of the angled cockpit seat to the front cockpit wall right now. If that's about 32 inches, then the fish-storage/console will end at the front cockpit wall. Otherwise. it might have to extend through the front cockpit wall. The front cockpit wall can be straight vertical to get as much length as possible.

The height above-deck is just below that of the gunwale. On the tandem it ranges from 4" above deck aft to 5.5" foward so that it matches the slope of the deck. The depth from hull to top is about 9.5". Width is that of the cockpit supports (about 11").

Below are some pics of it dry-fitted into place on my tandem.

jem
Site Admin

Post by jem »

I'm almost afraid to ask but does this module need to be removable?
-Matt. Designer.
scottrunnr
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by scottrunnr »

Definitely not removable. It'll be glassed in so that it's strong enough to be laid on in a re-entry situation.
CraigLewis
Type of boat I like: Sabalo 2004

Post by CraigLewis »

I will be practicing re-entry today to get a feel for a lower side and where...
jem
Site Admin

Post by jem »

I'll be interested to see how it fits with you sitting in it. wondering if the front part might need to be narrower. Hard to judge in pics without a body.
-Matt. Designer.
scottrunnr

Post by scottrunnr »

I'm hoping to have it installed by the middle of next week. If it warms up, I could try sitting in it on the water next weekend. Otherwise, I'll do a dry run of sitting in it on land with cushions under the hull.

Measuring it now, on the tandem I have about 9" of width for each leg. That should be fine for me. I'm only a little over 5'5" & 145lbs.
scottrunnr

Post by scottrunnr »

Matt,
I got swamped at work and couldn't get as much time to work on the fish storage console as I had hoped. Here are some pics with me sitting in the tandem kayak (in my basement with cushions under yak). There is plenty of room for my legs. I'm hoping to finish up this weekend.

scottrunnr

Post by scottrunnr »

Matt,
This turned out very well. I took her out fishing last week and found it to be quite comfortable. Having the fishfinder right in front of me was a huge bonus.

I've decided to retro-fit my existing 12' solo rather than build from scratch. No sense in not using a perfectly good hull. I'll going to rip out the existing cockpit but leave the fore/aft decks in place. It'll be the hybrid sot/sit cockpit as we discussed.

Should I remove the cockpit supports and replace them will taller ones to compensate for the loss of "floatable air space". Or are the existing ones still fine?