Relaxing day

Share your photos of outing with your boat!
tx river rat
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Relaxing day

Post by tx river rat »

The weather was hot 100 plus and I got to thinking how good that river water would feel. I called a buddy and we headed for the Falls on the Brazos. The river had really dropped and was clearing up pretty good.
I had grabbed the Laker a cooler with water and drinks and a few knifes that needed sharpening my arkansa tri stone . Kim was looking for bait and came up with this weird looking freshwater shrimp

A pic over Kims bow going down the river

The little Laker still looks and paddles ok

The water was shallow and fast and the wind was really blowing hard upriver but we were rolling along at a good clip. I saw a coon washing his food in the edge of the river and the gar were rolling everywhere mullet jumping was a good day to be on the water. We paddled down several miles and found a big shade tree overhanging a sand bar and set up there.
Kim set up his rods and cought some blues and channels

I relaxed and sharpened away

We spun tales and told fishing lies and then it was time to head back up to the Falls

The wind was blowing hard enough at times you could turn your paddle up and sail right up the river,after a couple miles it was time to portage
about a mile . The water is to swift and shallow so it is pulling time.

here is where we started , I am sure glad these boats float shallow

We made it back loaded up and went looking for some ac but we had a blast
Ron
bronco302

Post by bronco302 »

Great day to get laid back in a beautiful place, thanks for the trip 8)

Joe W.
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Post by jem »

That's the best part of boat building.
-Matt. Designer.
Kayak Jack
Design Reviewer
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by Kayak Jack »

Good one, Ron. Looks like you enjoyed yourself a good bit.
Kayak Jack
Doing what you like is FREEDOM
Liking what you do is HAPPINESS
I spent most of my money on whiskey and women - and I'm afraid I just wasted the rest.
hairymick
Design Reviewer

Post by hairymick »

G'day Ron,

Great to see you out and about again mate and enjoying your Laker. :D Great piccies again too. I think I would feel right at home on that river. 8)

Those cats look a little different to ours and ones that size if caught here would be considered very good fish indeed.

That last piccie shows some very inviting little rapids mate. They look a hoot to run. 8)
Regards,
Mick

JEMWATERCRAFT Swampgirl; Wadefish;Touring Pirogue;South Wind; P5 ;
Laker X 2, Sasquatch 16.5 T-V 15 Okwata 15:
Cobia 15 (under construction)
tx river rat

Post by tx river rat »

Mick
Those cats (blues) get to over a hundred lbs ,those are just good eating size.
River has to be up a little higher to run those rapids it is sold rock and just a few inches deep where we are wadding. About a foot rise and u can have a fun ride.
Ron
zeb

Post by zeb »

The more I look at these lakers,the more I tell myself I dont need one....
the more I wanna build one!!!!
Great looking trip Ron,thanks for sharing
All The Best
Zeb
hairymick
Design Reviewer

Post by hairymick »

Hiya Zeb!! :D

Go on mate, Ya know ya "need" one. :P

Imagine this, A great little boat, around 15 or 16 kgs, darn near as quick as the real good TK1s, only way more manevuverable and more stable and more fun to paddle. I/we have 3 superb TK1s in my shed and they NEVER get used anymore. Laker is our kayak of choice. They also have very little wind signature compared to a canoe.

On your cold winter days, imagine being tucked up in the relative warmth of your enclosed cockpit compared to sitting out in the elements in an open canoe. Don't get me wrong mate. I love my canoeing but sometimes I just want to go for a lil sprint down the river, no fuss no problems just me, my boat and paddle. Laker is my boat of choice.

Even better, something you can chuck on the roof of ya car easily on your own. When you get to the water, just throw it on your shoulder and casually walk to the waters edge and you're away!

:twisted: :P :D
Regards,
Mick

JEMWATERCRAFT Swampgirl; Wadefish;Touring Pirogue;South Wind; P5 ;
Laker X 2, Sasquatch 16.5 T-V 15 Okwata 15:
Cobia 15 (under construction)
zeb

Post by zeb »

OK OK You sold me Mick!!!!!!
I told my wife I dont want one,but SHE NEEDS ONE!
Your last post and the pictures of Your good lady sold it to her :twisted:
I cant seem to find the time to get on with my Sassy 14(Ive only made the temp frames :cry: )and with that being the last canoe I planned to build,a laker....... :idea: well Ive never tried to build a kayak :? so its not really building another canoe is it :roll: ....yes thats it.... :wink:

SOLD :D
All The Best
Zeb
john the pom

Post by john the pom »

Note to Mrs Zeb.
Howay hinnie gan doon the off license f' some broo nale ah've some boats to build. :lol: