Cedar and Pine Strip JEM Touring Pirogue

Share your photos of outing with your boat!
OnkaBob
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by OnkaBob »

Utterly MAGIC first post Craig.

Incredible photos (both quality and subjects) and the boat is absolutely beautiful.

Am very interested in a build log. This is something I've been thinking about myself but have concerns about how to do hard chine joints with strips and also wondering about weight/rigidity/strength.

Keep up the good work!

Cheers, Bob
Cheers, Bob

Laker 13 - christened and slimed (just).
Laker accessories underway.
Wannabe

Post by Wannabe »

Bob said:
"concerns about how to do hard chine joints with strips "

Handplane?
Bob
craiggamesh
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by craiggamesh »

Thank you all for all the nice compliments. :D

Onkabob: I will weigh it ASAP. Of course it is only as accurate as the bathroom scale. By feel, it weighs about as much as my cedarstrip kayak which was about 35 lbs. The chine joints were the same as with plywood. I just basically made my own plywood out of strips edge glued with a layer of fiberglass on the insides of the panels to keep the stitches from pulling and splitting the strips while stitching everything together.

Here is a photo where you can see both the fiberglassed inside and raw wood outside during stitching.

I will try to start a build log soon. However, like many of you, boat building is only a hobby and unfortunately, I have been very busy at work. Plus tomorrow is the start of a crawfish festival here. Yum!

Even though I am done building it, I will probably post a day or two worth of building in a build log at a time (due to lack of time). I had always planned to do one and have taken step by step photos.

Craig
Last edited by craiggamesh on Sun Jan 11, 2009 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kayak Jack
Design Reviewer

Post by Kayak Jack »

Craig, congrats on having those two boys involved. THAT is your accomplishment. Good on ya.
Kayak Jack
Doing what you like is FREEDOM
Liking what you do is HAPPINESS
I spent most of my money on whiskey and women - and I'm afraid I just wasted the rest.