Intro for new paddlers

Share your photos of outing with your boat!
tx river rat
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Intro for new paddlers

Post by tx river rat »

Today has been quite a experience .
Took some friends of mine on there first yaking trip, Nick, his girl friend and Cameron.
For boats I took the Freedom 15 the Laker 13 and the hot air perow for them to play with and the Barracuda for me to play with.
I had two kayak paddles and two single blade paddles .
We loaded up and took of , when we got to the lake it was way down but
kayaks don't have to have boat ramps, we unloaded I put them into a boat one at a time and watched them for a couple minutes then put the next one in the water. Then I loaded up and brought up the tail end.
The little lady in the Laker had the other double bladed and after a few minutes was doing good. I looked up and the perow was going in circles and so was the Freedom, showed them how to paddle straight one guy got it the other just went in circles so I gave him my double blade and I took the single , that got him going. and off we went. I know some of you like a single blade but they are not for me , are not in the Barracuda anyway , I used it all day but didn't like it.
Here is a pic of a creek channel that feed the lake water is normally 12 ft deep here

all the lite green is normally submerged , boy the fish are going to have a lot of cover when the lake fills back up. I paddled up to the bank and the growth is what they call soft ceder so it will stay standing a while after the water comes back up.

Three of us paddled to the back of the lake saw several herons water turkeys and as we paddled up into the creek we were trapping carp against the bank , had a couple really smack my boat and one nearly mad Kerry jump out of hers,

Nick and Kerry crossing the lake in the Laker and the Freedom, they settled right into the paddling thing. We were getting closer to the put in I saw the hot air floating across the lake and I couldn't see anyone in the boat , as we got closer Cameron sat up , we started ragging him , yesterday was his birthday and he drank his share of the champagne, he was hurting, so he would just paddle up wind then lay down and take a nap while the wind blew him back across the lake. We ragged him pretty hard .
After we beached the boats they started trying the different boats

Cameron in the Freedom

Cameron in the Barracuda.
Before we loaded up got my yak paddle and took off in the cuda ,first time on flat water wow If you put the paddle to the water this boat will jump and glides forever you should be able to see me grinning from there.
I had a great day and all three thanked me for taking them and were asking questions about where to buy a yak , maybe three more paddlers hooked
Ron