Cape Fear on Western Port Bay

Share your photos of outing with your boat!
olsnappa
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Cape Fear on Western Port Bay

Post by olsnappa »

I took the Cape Fear out for its first fishing trip today.
I went out from Flinders which is on Western Port Bay, about an hours drive from home. It was the first calm day we’ve had in weeks….at least when I could get out. A gentle sea breeze and sunny and warm. I had a good paddle around, a bit of a troll and anchored for some bait casting and spinning....primarily to check that the theoretical position of everything works out in practice. It seemed to so I guess this is how she'll usually be set up when I’m fishing from her.
These photos show the arrangement of all essentials.
I’m still to install a detachable pole off the rear deck for a safety flag and/or light…..and maybe eventually a fish finder on the centre thwart between the rod holders…….judging by today’s effort I’ll need one. One hook up on a silver wobbler trolled but lost it during the retrieve……but lot’s of fun was had anyway.
I have a 750gm and 1.5kg anchor in the kit bag. 80lb mono from reel to anchor and can tie off line on reel at required length. A cut down red noodle as the float. 4mm white nylon from reel to anchor trolley. The noodle has one of those small poly irrigation risers through the middle with the white nylon line running through it. I thought the white nylon line might eventually cut through the noodle so this should prevent it.
Anchor line secured to a cleat on centre thwart for quick release if I have to take off in a hurry or let the CF run with a fish.
In this photo the anchor is deployed from the bow. Phillip Island (in the distance) sits sort of in the middle of Western Port at the bays entrance. No, I’m not really that far out……..Flinders beach is about 500mts astern.
Flinders beach and headland.
John.
1 Cape Fear Sit In....a couple more planned
2 Laker 14's
1 Paddle board

"People who don't make mistakes don't make anything"
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Re: Cape Fear on Western Port Bay

Post by jem »

Wow! That is one tricked out boat!

But where the "beverage" cooler? :lol:
-Matt. Designer.
olsnappa
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by olsnappa »

jem wrote:Wow! That is one tricked out boat!

But where the "beverage" cooler? :lol:
That's a very very large space under the hatch, Matt :D
John.
2 Laker 14's
1 Paddle board

_AL_

Post by _AL_ »

Now that is a fishing machine, and a dam good looking one at that.
You must be over the moon mate.

Al
Bemm 52

Post by Bemm 52 »

Lookin real good...........how do you find it for stability. 8)

Gonna have to post a few myself. :lol: :lol: :oops:
olsnappa

Post by olsnappa »

_AL_, Bemm 52......Cheers fellas.
Bemm......... Stability is good mate. I've been out in her quite a few times now in varied conditions and am increasingly confident in her. :D :D Have a look at the builders log. I did a bit of a summary of her performance etc there.
John.
2 Laker 14's
1 Paddle board

LIGHT KEEPER'S KID
Type of boat I like: WADEFISH 15x32

Post by LIGHT KEEPER'S KID »

LIKE UR CHANGES AND GEAR SET-UP :wink: THATS ONE GREAT LOOKING BOAT :shock: 8) :wink:
The wise man in the storm prays to God, not for safety from danger, but for deliverance from fear.
__Ralph Waldo Emerson
Kayak Jack
Design Reviewer

Post by Kayak Jack »

John, I can almost see your thought process in your gear layout. I don't fish, but I like to think through how my gear will be disposed and used. It's always a "work in progress" as I have never done it the same way two times over. Always a new wrinkle to try to improve things.

We get some gear that becomes such a standard part of the kit that we never think twice about it. Other gear seems always on the edge of getting tossed out. This year, I had a cultural shock. My old standby, Coleman single burner camp stoves, failed me so dismally that I gave up after over 40 years. I divorced Coleman and took up a romance with Svea. Little Swedish honey caught my eye.

My late wife was always trying different rods, reels, lures, baits, etc. etc. She caught a lot of fish.
Kayak Jack
Doing what you like is FREEDOM
Liking what you do is HAPPINESS
I spent most of my money on whiskey and women - and I'm afraid I just wasted the rest.
olsnappa

Post by olsnappa »

I know what you mean, KJ. I ferreted out my trusty little 2 man tent the other day, wistfuly thinking of the adventures it and I had ahead with the Cape Fear only to find that it's really well past it......and not worth repairing. :cry: ..... Took myself down to a nearby "outdoors" shop and and was amazed at the range of sexy looking tents there are these days.......Hmmm, too many to choose from straight away but one of them will replace old faithful I suppose.
John.
2 Laker 14's
1 Paddle board

Kayak Jack
Design Reviewer

Post by Kayak Jack »

John,

I don't know if Piragis will ship to the Land of Oz, but ask. Take a look at this tent, http://www.boundarywaterscatalog.com/br ... ,6753.html

An outdoorsman recommended it to me, I have one, and it is a great three season tent, and I wouldn't hesitate to use it in deep winter. Goes up nicely, and is REALLY a three man tent. It has a larger floor than my Eureka 4 man Timberline.

Large, covered vestibules on each end cover all gear. Many optional settings of vents to encourage or discourage air movement. VERY wind resistant.

Bagged, it is a bit larger than the Timberline, which is a classic tent for good reasons. It is longer when erected too, because of the vestibules. My Granddaughter helps set it up, so it's easy to erect.

What ever you get, keep enjoying the outdoors.
Kayak Jack
Doing what you like is FREEDOM
Liking what you do is HAPPINESS
I spent most of my money on whiskey and women - and I'm afraid I just wasted the rest.