A short trip on the yarra

Share your photos of outing with your boat!
Tor
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

A short trip on the yarra

Post by Tor »

Well Olsnappa's shots on the Yarra made me think I shouls share my Yarra trip

It was a very short one.

It's a canoe put in at the base of some rather steep banks near Warrandyte there's a big loop in the river and a flood tunnel where the ends of the horseshoe are. The idea was park at one end, paddle to the other (downstream), walk back to car and the pick up canoe. I didn't have a topographical map when planning this and was a bit surprised when I arrived and found my planned put in was at the bottom of a 50 metre cliff!!

Now the DK is a useful vessel but not the sort of thing you abseil down a cliff to launch :lol:

So we put in at the designated spot and paddled as far as we could upstream and the turned around.

What I didn't realise is how low the river was...

When the river level is at the red level it is very scarey
at the orange it's scarey
at the yellow its fun
at the green it's placid
below the concrete footings the rock monster try to rip the *r$* out of you and your boat (I have a few scratches to show for it)

We did try to paddle up one of the small rapids but with 5 in the canoe and only two paddles the current wasn't going to let us, and I didn't take any pictures which I'll need to do one day. We were tempted to go beyond the put in down stream but then we'd have to walk back to the car, and those 50 metre cliffs were all around.

the DK before launch...

by the way its about 35 km to the city (Melbourne) or 175 if you paddle :shock:

Tor
Dickie
Type of boat I like: Kayaks

Re: A short trip on the yarra

Post by Dickie »

Looks like you had fun, thats all that matters. Thanks for the great pictures and the little piece of memories!
~~ Dickie ~~
"The BEST tool in the World is the Human mind"