Okwata at River Heads (Mouth of Mary River)

Share your photos of outing with your boat!
hairymick
Design Reviewer
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Okwata at River Heads (Mouth of Mary River)

Post by hairymick »

A few more of this superb boat. My budding obsession is photography, combined with my love of kayaking and fishing, It seems I am currently enjoying the best of all three worlds.

Okwata is now entrenched as my boat of choice - bar none. Truly, a remarkable kayak to paddle and stable enough to fish and photograph from. So much so, in relation to photography, I take my high end camera with me each time I go now in complete confidence. :oops:

A few shots of the boat.

Put in.

At rest on a sand bar.

Barramundi country!

A few from the boat.

Nice reflections

Oyser bar.

and just for fun, :D

Regards,
Mick

JEMWATERCRAFT Swampgirl; Wadefish;Touring Pirogue;South Wind; P5 ;
Laker X 2, Sasquatch 16.5 T-V 15 Okwata 15:
Cobia 15 (under construction)
hairymick
Design Reviewer
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Re: Okwata at River Heads (Mouth of Mary River)

Post by hairymick »

Oh yeah,

Just one more. :P This one shows the Mountains of Fraser Island, about 11 miles distant - in the background. I will be making the crossing in Okwata real soon. Southern shore of the Mary River mouth is in the foreground to the right.

Regards,
Mick

olsnappa

Post by olsnappa »

Great shots Mick.
Beautiful boat. Beautiful scenery.......And that's one serious lookin' camera..... :D
John.
1 Cape Fear Sit In....a couple more planned
2 Laker 14's
1 Paddle board

"People who don't make mistakes don't make anything"
craiggamesh

Post by craiggamesh »

Beautiful pics Mick. What software do you use for working with them. I too enjoy photography. I have to do some for work but I enjoy doing some for pleasure when I am in the outdoors. I found this book to be a great guide.
http://www.amazon.com/Digital-Photograp ... 617&sr=8-1

We have a professional photographer also employed at my job and he recommended it too me and let me borrow his copy. I liked it so much, i bought both volume 1 and 2 and i am the kind of guy who usually won't read guides. I usually try to figure it out myself then read the guide to fix it. I have since passed them along to others interested in the hobby.
Regards,

Craig
------------------------------------------------------
If I had more clamps, I could build more boats.
Ossie Bruce
Type of boat I like: OKWATA.

Post by Ossie Bruce »

The water and weather is looking good Mick, as is the okwata, how did you go down that way with the blow ?
Ossie Bruce OKWATA Wet at last
North Queensland
Australia
hairymick
Design Reviewer

Post by hairymick »

G'day Snapps, thanks mate. I haven't spent nearly enough time exploring the Mary River. The size and sheer scale of it fort these parts defies belief until one gets into it in a paddlecraft. Several smaller rivers join the Mary, right at it mouth and the volume of water flowing out through it on a big tide ( 4 metres for here) makes crossing the river a hoot and a real good workout.

The river is home to huge king salmon and barramundi and I went undergunned with my ultralight gear and got smashed every time. A very expensive proposition when using Japanese lures. Will be going back real soon, loaded for bear. :D

Re the camera, not really mate. It was pretty expensive at the time but by all accounts pretty basic now. I am resisting getting one of the lovely new Sony DSLRs and just can't justfy the expense.

Craig, thanks mate,

I crop and re-size and crop with Microsoft Office Picture Manager and play with them a bit in picassa 3. I have a basic version of Photoshop but don't have the skills to use it.

My camera is only a DSLR wannabe - a Panasonic DMC-FZ50, X 10 megapixel job and I bought it for the big optical zoom. Pic quality isn't nearly as good as even an entry level DSLR but still pretty good for what the camera is. I am still only learning about composition and ISO and apperture settings and all that technical stuff.

Will definately be checking that link out, thank you for posting it.

G'day Bruce, the water is starting to clear up in the Bay now but the rivers are still running pretty fresh and muddy. We missed the worst of the rain and wind thank goodness but still got gusts here at up to about 60 knots and several days of very heavy rain. Lake Lenthall is full again and the impoundment barra in it are coming back on the bight after nearly a year of being completely shut down after the last floods. I hope to get out there soon to get into a couple of them before the coming winter cold shuts them down again.

My mates are telling me that the Lake is starting to look like Kakadu again so by next summer, things should be great again.

In the mean time, I am gearing up to go back to the Mary mouth and try to get one of them big kings into my boat. Might have to take a billy club to belt him into submission first. :D
Regards,
Mick

craiggamesh

Post by craiggamesh »

I started using a free software called The Gimp. It is a Photoshop (the expensive version) knock-off. It is amazing what you can do to a photo with it. I found it via the tech site cnet.com. It is powerful software and combined with some tips in the book I referenced, you can do a lot of neat things. I love it. Of course it helps that it is free. :lol:
Regards,

Craig
tx river rat

Post by tx river rat »

Craig
thanks for the link ,i like that (gimp)
Ron
craiggamesh

Post by craiggamesh »

Your welcome Ron. It has been able to save a few once in a lifetime shots for me when I didn't have the settings on the camera right.
Regards,

Craig