Issaquah on the mighty Hawkesbury River NSW, Australia

Share your photos of outing with your boat!
Artfull Dodger
Type of boat I like: issaquah

Issaquah on the mighty Hawkesbury River NSW, Australia

Post by Artfull Dodger »

Bemm 52
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Re: Issaquah on the mighty Hawkesbury River NSW, Australia

Post by Bemm 52 »

Looks good 8) ................ what sort of battery do you use for electrics?
Chinook

Post by Chinook »

Nice to see some pictures of the Issaquah :D wish it was that temperature here, well half your temperature would be about right, the ice only left a week ago.

I'm building the Issaquah 14, is yours the 14? If so how do you find she handles with 2 people aboard I'm especially interested in the stability since I find at this stage its fairly easy to vary the beam an inch or so by playing around with a spreader where the yoke will go.

Really nice job of finishing the boat
Artfull Dodger

Post by Artfull Dodger »

Hi Bemm,

I am using a Century PS Series model PS 1270S - 12V7 . OAh, it powers the sounder and GPS perfectlly and is suitable for dishcharging and recharging. Once I get back home I just plug in to a Projector 1600ah conditioning charger and its ready to go for next time. It weighs in at 2.5kg and fits in a neat carry bag with adapter picked it up from BCF Castle Hill.
Neat job on the Sabolo mate well done.

Artfull Dodger

Post by Artfull Dodger »

Hi Chinook,

It is indeed the 14ft; handling well I can only add my experience so far when I paddle solo it tracks and balances fine and I weigh in at 82kg (180.4lbs approx). I have paddled with both single and twin paddle and prefer twin paddle with no wind which brings me to the next point, wind, I have paddled in a pretty stiff breeze on open water and struggled to keep it inline and on course. I have had both my father and myself onboard (378lbs approx) and capsized on more than 1 occasion which may also be put down to inexperience with balance, seat height location and or that Issaquah is simply not really designed for two adults as is explained by Jem below;

"A second, shorter and narrower version was requested in the same style. The 14 model is designed for solo paddling or a very light tandem with small crew (kids). It is constructed in the same manner as the 17.5 model".

I am however very pleased with the Issaquah and will see the kids enjoying hours of fun in the right environment, I am now embarking on a new project the "Okwata" and can't wait to receive the plans. I hope this info has helped a little and appreciate your comments good luck with the build and if you have any questions please do not hesitate to ask.
Bemm 52
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by Bemm 52 »

and there was me thinking your new build was going to be a SOT :P

"Okwata" looks to be a really nice design......... its lines have a bit of attitude :shock: 8)

It'll make a good winter project be sure to post pics :D
Chinook

Post by Chinook »

Thanks Artful Dodger

That was exactly the information I was looking for, and confirms my initial impressions
She should work out well for what we intend to use her for, we are two small people my wife and myself have a combined weight of 250lbs just big kids, my wife says I am a big kid :)
Some where along the way I have gained an inch of beam although its fairly easy to vary that +/- 1/2" by pushing or pulling where the yoke will go, it might help the stability a tiny amount it shouldn't hurt anyway.
I'll leave the final fitting until after the sea trials along with seat placement and height, besides its gives me an excuse to get her wet sooner.

Good luck with the new build