Took the Pirogue out for a spin 5.2.09

Share your photos of outing with your boat!
CrkdLtr
Type of boat I like: Pirogue

Took the Pirogue out for a spin 5.2.09

Post by CrkdLtr »

Shame that it was windy that day. It blew out of the north and then the south and just pushed me all over the lake. I tried fishing but after getting hung up a couple times and being blown into the fishing spot I just quit and enjoyed the outing.

I reckon I should look at installing a keel to keep the wind from blowing me left or right as I'm paddling into it?

Yes I had a life jacket in the boat :) and I would appreciate opinions about where I'm seated... should I sit further back or am I ok where I'm at? Last time out I was dead center which explained a lot of the shakiness I experienced. I sat further back than last time and it steadied up better.
Last edited by CrkdLtr on Mon May 04, 2009 6:45 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Kayak Jack
Design Reviewer
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Re: Took the Pirogue out for a spin 5.2.09

Post by Kayak Jack »

Even after cleaning my glasses, I couldn't see you. Sorry 'bout that!
Kayak Jack
Doing what you like is FREEDOM
Liking what you do is HAPPINESS
I spent most of my money on whiskey and women - and I'm afraid I just wasted the rest.
Oldsparkey
Design Reviewer
Type of boat I like: Wood boats .

Post by Oldsparkey »

Kayak Jack wrote:Even after cleaning my glasses, I couldn't see you. Sorry 'bout that!
I had my glasses on and cleaned and still did not see him , must be this computer playing games on me.

Chuck.
Remember:
Amateurs built the Ark...... Professionals built the Titanic
Visit some fine paddlers at The Southern Paddler
CrkdLtr

Post by CrkdLtr »

You gents might need thicker lenses? :shock:

Nah, had to fix the URLs I think...

hmm.. it happened again. maybe an issue with the host. I'll move the pictures over to photobucket later.
Bemm 52
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by Bemm 52 »

I can see ya without my glasses :lol: :lol:
Oldsparkey
Design Reviewer

Post by Oldsparkey »

Got my new glasses and now I can see you , think I might go back to the old glasses. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Right off hand I would say you were seated in a good spot , the bow was not up a lot and the stern was not down , just right.
The main thing is how did the spot work for you , you are the one that has to be comfortable when paddling it.
Personally for myself , I like to sit just back of the center line , the front of the seat is at the center line of the boat.

Chuck.
Remember:
Kayak Jack
Design Reviewer

Post by Kayak Jack »

OK, now I can see. My thoughts are that if you ever wanna change your name from Crooked Letter, that Droopy Drawers would be a good one. :lol:

As Chuck sez, you look fairly well trimmed. A trick I use is to level the boat out in the shop. Then mount one of those bulls eye levels in the boat. I use silicone silastic as a mounting bed. Set it back out of the way, but where you don't have to lean to see it. You want to see how the boat is trimmed with you sitting naturally. You normally want to be trimmed a bit nose high. For very slow movement such as, say, bow fishing, you might want to be level. Ask Ronnie or Joey for sure on that.

Bulls eye levels are not precise; they are used for leveling RV's, trailers, etc. They do a nice job on a boat, I've found.
Kayak Jack
I spent most of my money on whiskey and women - and I'm afraid I just wasted the rest.
CrkdLtr

Post by CrkdLtr »

I felt many times more comfortable that time out than I did the first time. I probably sat 6" to a foot closer to stern. When I went out for the first time I was closer to the middle if not sitting on the butt plate of middle close enough for my feet to rest on the front batten.

So now I'm left with some problems. The wind just blue me around unmercifully that day. On top of the fishing hole, away from the fishing hole all in the amount of time it took for me to retrieve my line and cast again. Guess I need to deploy a small anchor from stern? And would adding a small 1x1 keel keep the wind from blowing the pirogue of course if not paddling directly into the wind?
Kayak Jack
Design Reviewer

Post by Kayak Jack »

You sound like a candidate for a small sea anchor? Or, dragging a short length of log chain - minus a hook.
Kayak Jack
Oldsparkey
Design Reviewer

Post by Oldsparkey »

I would say Jack has the answer , drag a short chunk of chain , that way the wind will keep you pointed one direction. Plus it is easy to retrieve and you could let the wind gently move you along , depending on how much anchor line you had out.

If fishing near the bank , just back or pull into the weeds and cast out and around you, or find a secluded area and just drift an fish. That is what I normally do.
When you pull into the weeds you knock some of the bait ( bugs an critters) off the weeds and that chums the fish for you. :D
Remember: