Okwata - NOW she is a boat.

Share your photos of outing with your boat!
hairymick
Design Reviewer
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Okwata - NOW she is a boat.

Post by hairymick »

G'day guys,

Took Okwata to Theodolite Creek the other day and finally caught some worthwhile fish. Now she is a proper boat.

Put in at the river mouth,

Miz Robin is in her bloody plastic pig. All day she was moaning about how she should have brought her Laker.

loaded for fishin

Heading upstream. I love these sandy tropical mangrove creeks

Trolling real slooow. this boat is deadly silent like this. No splash or noise whatsoever - perfect. :D

for mangrove jack 8)

and grunter (javelin fish) 8)

and another bow shot - just because I can. :lol:

I bloody LOVE this boat but getting a lil nervous. Miz Robin keeps looking at it with that scary 1000 yard stare of hers. :lol:
Regards,
Mick

JEMWATERCRAFT Swampgirl; Wadefish;Touring Pirogue;South Wind; P5 ;
Laker X 2, Sasquatch 16.5 T-V 15 Okwata 15:
Cobia 15 (under construction)
LIGHT KEEPER'S KID
Type of boat I like: WADEFISH 15x32

Re: Okwata - NOW she is a boat.

Post by LIGHT KEEPER'S KID »

GREAT REPORT :D Love those pics :wink:

Mike
The wise man in the storm prays to God, not for safety from danger, but for deliverance from fear.
__Ralph Waldo Emerson
scottrunnr
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by scottrunnr »

Nice! Thanks for sharing! That yak sure is pretty!
slider
Type of boat I like: Pirogue

Post by slider »

Cool. Pics and logs in the build section are interesting and informative, but my favorites are always in the "out and about" section. Love seeing those action shots of homebuilt yaks.

Mick, what is that fish bag/roll and ruler looking thing in some of your posts? Not sure it is what I see in this one but have in several of your post before, usually with some cool looking fish on it.
zeb

Post by zeb »

Great report,boat and pictures Mick
I love the woodgrain in the second picture,its a pity to paint it purple :P
All The Best
Zeb
hairymick
Design Reviewer

Post by hairymick »

Thanks guys, glad you liked my little blog. :D

G'day Slider,
Mick, what is that fish bag/roll and ruler looking thing in some of your posts?
The one in this set is an imitation environet

http://www.shimanofish.com.au/publish/c ... onets.html

or a specialized sort of fish landing net. Ideal when using very small minnow lures in that the hooks don't get tangled in it and is also very handy to protect ones lap from fish spines while removing the hooks. :D It just sits on my foredeck between my front rodholders for easy reach and use. :D A truly great piece of kayak fishing kit.

The ruler thing is a fish measure. We have minimum and maximum size limits on many of our fish and this just allows us to avoid a big fine for keeping undersize or oversize fish. :D

G'day Zeb,

Nice to see you here again mate. :D

No way is MY BOAT going to be painted purple mate. Toying with a sort of Aussie camo at the moment (practicing some airbrushing) for the sides only. Decks will definately be remaining brightwork.
Regards,
Mick

OnkaBob

Post by OnkaBob »

hairymick wrote: Toying with a sort of Aussie camo
........= a montage of beer bottle labels? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Can't get over the clarity of your pics and the calmness of the water - makes for beautiful photos. Was that on the Mary river?
Cheers, Bob

Laker 13 - christened and slimed (just).
Laker accessories underway.
hairymick
Design Reviewer

Post by hairymick »

Nah mate, tis Theodolite Creek, just to the north of Hervey Bay :D

http://www.wbpr.com.au/woodgate-beach-bundaberg.php

Its a small, sandy, mangrove jobbie, very pristine and goes allmost dry at low tide. This makes it ideal for paddle craft because the ski lice and jet ski maggots can't use it much and neither can the stink boat crowd.

At best, the stink boats can only get up a mile or so at or near high tide, unless they want to be stuck there for about 12 hours..

Genuine pirogue country but I havent got round to taking one up there yet.
Regards,
Mick

preacher
Type of boat I like: Cape Fear SOT

Post by preacher »

hairymick wrote:Genuine pirogue country but I havent got round to taking one up there yet.

Be glad to loan you the Bumble Bee :roll:

That bow shot is incredible. I take a lot of those and during the winter I sit and stare at them. I think I'm gonna add yours to the collection.
OnkaBob

Post by OnkaBob »

hairymick wrote:Nah mate, tis Theodolite Creek,
Creek? :shock:
I always laugh at what east coasters call a creek............that would rate as a major river in SA :lol:

We took a caravan up as far as the Whitsundays back in 1991 and the thing I will always remember is how many nice waterways there are along the coast. Fraser Island was fantastic as well. Nice bit of country you live in Mick. 8)
Cheers, Bob

Laker 13 - christened and slimed (just).
Laker accessories underway.