A short session in the Laker

Share your photos of outing with your boat!
OnkaBob
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

A short session in the Laker

Post by OnkaBob »

Hadn't been out for a few weeks so went down to Old Noarlunga and paddled from Market Square to Perry's Bend and back, then up to the oval and back. (A bit over 7km)
Wind was very variable - still one minute and 15 knots the next. This variation was increased by local changes in terrain and the direction of the river at any given time and made fishing a little more difficult than usual..

At this stage it was easy........

I'm still impressed with the handling of the Laker every time I take her out. Unless there is a strong wind from behind there is no need to think about keeping her straight. A strong tail wind will cause weathercocking but I've had much worse in other craft. I tried gliding and steering by leaning the hull while in the calm section and found it worked quite well although the effect is not strong by any means.

At the same spot on the way back it was not rough by any means but certainly not as smooth as earlier.

Met 2 blokes fishing from an electric powered plastic SOT and they commented on how nice the Laker looks. Had similar comments from a bunch of paddlers in touring yaks later on.

Trolled a lure all the way but had no hits. Have yet to master the art of handling a fishing rod from an unanchored kayak. By the time I lift the rod and am set to cast the boat has drifted too close to the snag, rock etc and the approach has to be done again. Can't wait to get out in the sea in summer and chase some whiting and flathead. Much more room to drift out there.

This pic is heading up toward the oval - the water was much higher here a couple of weeks back as we had the first overflow of Mt Bold reservoir for some years (been a long drought here). The landings on the right were all under water.

Cheers, Bob

Laker 13 - christened and slimed (just).
Laker accessories underway.
Dickie
Type of boat I like: Kayaks

Re: A short session in the Laker

Post by Dickie »

Great pictures! Thanks for sharing!
~~ Dickie ~~
"The BEST tool in the World is the Human mind"
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Post by jem »

beautiful!
-Matt. Designer.
Barneseye
Type of boat I like: Building a Merrimac.

Post by Barneseye »

Mate I'm jealous as I'm not gonna paddling anything that nice when I get mine wet.