Deep South Texas Hunt

Share your photos of outing with your boat!
Darrells
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Deep South Texas Hunt

Post by Darrells »

Well, TxRiverRat and myself made it home safely Sunday afternoon. It was 935 miles round trip, but was not a bad drive at all.
We arrived at the Ranch about 8:30 Tuesday night and set camp up. The tent we are using are very nice. Take them out of their case and they pop up and are ready to stake down, no other set up needed. They are made by Mac Sports and take less than one minute to be ready for the cot and sleeping bag.
We started hunting Weds afternoon after the mandatory safety meeting ( watch out for Rattlesnakes, illegal aliens, and drug runners).They had recently found a skeleton that had been there for 6-8 months before being discovered.
It is a rugged beauty down in South Texas.

TxRiverRat putting corn out to draw Javelina.

Everything down there either has thorns or teeth.

This is big country. It is nice not to see power lines or any lights at night.

There is alot of wildlife. We saw 100+ deer, quail, doves, wild pigs, Javelina, Mexican Eagles, rabbits, coyotes. We hunted hard but were not able to harvest a Javelina or wild hog. Even though we were not succesful on the hunting it was a great trip just to get away and relax and see some new country.
We had some good drinks in the evening and some great food.

We did have a little run-in with a critter that got hairy for a few minutes.

TxRiverRat with the culpret.

Sunrise on the Mendiola.

Sunset.

These were everywhere.

Coming back we had to pass threw a Border Patro; check station.

Darrell Sykora
OnkaBob
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Re: Deep South Texas Hunt

Post by OnkaBob »

Interesting post Darrel and some good photos.

Just 2 questions:

- What is a Javelina?

and

- What did the rattler taste like? :lol: :lol: :lol:
Cheers, Bob

Laker 13 - christened and slimed (just).
Laker accessories underway.
craiggamesh

Post by craiggamesh »

- What is a Javelina?
When I lived in Arizona, my definition for a javelina was: a desert dwelling pig-like creature (AKA the collared peccary http://www.desertusa.com/magnov97/nov_p ... lpecc.html) that was very plentiful and visible during deer hunting season, but nowhere to be found, or possibly invisible during Javelina season. :lol:

However, Darrel may have his own definition :)
Regards,

Craig
------------------------------------------------------
If I had more clamps, I could build more boats.
Darrells

Post by Darrells »

That sounds about right. :(
Darrell Sykora