Cobby

Share your photos of outing with your boat!
OnkaBob
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Cobby

Post by OnkaBob »

We took our caravan up to Cobdogla - commonly known as Cobby - on the Murray River last week. Stayed for 5 nights and just generally unwound with a bit of sightseeing, some paddling and some overeating :D .

The fish were totally uncooperative - not even a bite - but that left time to take some photos. Very few turned out well but there are some that are reasonable. Cobby station is set on the edge of a backwater with a channel leading out to the river.

This was the first morning I went out, looking back at the launch spot.

The difference that light can make is shown in the next 2 shots of the same area from a bit further over. The first is facing east as the sun is about to come up and the second is late afternoon with the sun behind me.

This one was heading out through the channel.

This is the pumping station at Bruno Bay. Just to the left (still in the picture) is a gap where houseboats go in.

And this is the houseboat mooring / launch ramp inside.
Last edited by OnkaBob on Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers, Bob

Laker 13 - christened and slimed (just).
Laker accessories underway.
OnkaBob
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Re: Cobby

Post by OnkaBob »

Took this while sitting across the other side of the river - jammed the Laker up between a stump and a fallen log in the water and put a line out while taking pictures. This was the roughest water condition for the whole week - I'd guess the wind was a bit over 5 knot.
It's amazing how hard it is to see a channel entrance at water level unless you are directly in line.

Saw a lot of these - not sure if they have a particular name but they are basically a small dragonfly.

Took a lot of shots of this feller - he's a Whistling Kite and his nest was almost directly over me while I was fishing. I could see his mate's tail sticking out so they probably have eggs. Most of the photos were blurred or missed him altogether but with digital it doesn't matter :)

This was going back in through the channel in the afternoon. Again, a big contrast to the early morning light.

And finally, the view of the backwater from in the channel, late afternoon again.

I also caught a brief glimpse of a long necked turtle withdrawing his head as I headed out on the first morning but there was absolutely no chance of a photo there.

Even though the fishing was poor and I had to carry the Laker over 200 metres to the water it was still a totally relaxing trip. I hope to get back up there with some other paddlers one day and head off through some of the bigger backwaters.
Cheers, Bob

Oldsparkey
Design Reviewer
Type of boat I like: Wood boats .

Post by Oldsparkey »

We have these over here and we call them Damsel Flies. They do like to land on the edge of a boat , paddles and even a persons hat.

A short history on them from the web............. Damselflies undergo incomplete metamorphosis, with an aquatic nymph stage. The female lays eggs in water, sometimes in underwater vegetation, or high in trees in bromeliads and other water-filled cavities. Nymphs are carnivorous, feeding on daphnia, mosquito larvae, and various other small aquatic organisms, using extendable jaws similar to those of the dragonfly nymph. The gills of damselfly nymphs are large and external, resembling three fins at the end of the abdomen. After moulting several times, the winged adult emerges and eats flies, mosquitoes, and other small insects. Some of the larger tropical species are known to feed on spiders, hovering near the web and plucking the spider from its nest.

Chuck.
PS. Most of the ones we have around here are the blue ones.
Remember:
Amateurs built the Ark...... Professionals built the Titanic
Visit some fine paddlers at The Southern Paddler
rhutchinson
Type of boat I like: Kayaks and Canoes.

Post by rhutchinson »

Nice water pics. Thanks. I haven't gotten out yet so I'm drooling!!!
How did the Laker preform? Have you got it fitted out to suit yourself yet?

Richard
The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese in the trap !!!
OnkaBob

Post by OnkaBob »

Thanks for that info Chuck.

Richard, my Laker has been in use since Easter last year and I have about 35 hours paddling time in her so far. She has watertight compartments front and rear, deck lines for self rescue and that's about it. Seem to be getting away without rod holders at present but 1 or 2 would be handy. Performance is nice - easy enough to paddle reasonable distance and stable enough to sit and take photos or fish from. Also light enough to carry 200 metres and large enough to carry overnight camping gear. I consider her an all rounder - not overly good at any 1 thing but does everything adequately for my purposes.

Overall score :) :) :) (out of 3!)
Cheers, Bob

preacher
Type of boat I like: Cape Fear SOT

Post by preacher »

Absolutely beautiful pics. That is an awesome spot. I'm pretty sure Australia and Texas were connected before the land drift :wink: .
OnkaBob

Post by OnkaBob »

Thanks Preacher, yes there are certain similarities between our parts of the world. Many pictures I've seen here - particularly from Ron and Darrel - remind me of parts of SA.
Cheers, Bob

hairymick
Design Reviewer

Post by hairymick »

G'day Bob.

they are stunning shots mate. thank you for sharing them.

There is nothing quite like paddling sweet water through very good farm land is there? :D
Regards,
Mick

JEMWATERCRAFT Swampgirl; Wadefish;Touring Pirogue;South Wind; P5 ;
Laker X 2, Sasquatch 16.5 T-V 15 Okwata 15:
Cobia 15 (under construction)