Netarts Bay Crabbing in a Couple of JEMS

Share your photos of outing with your boat!
craiggamesh
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Netarts Bay Crabbing in a Couple of JEMS

Post by craiggamesh »

I took a couple of days off and went to Oceanside, Oregon with my family and my in-laws for some R and R. I brought the strip built Touring Pirogue and the Sabalo, along with a couple of crab traps and fishing gear. It had been raining so I figured in most bays the crabbing would be slow due to the fresh water increase from the rivers. However, Netarts Bay has no river flowing in, just a few creeks so the crabbing isn't as affected by the rain.
(satellite photo of Netarts bay from the Oregon Department of Fish and Wildlife website with helpful information)
We were off by an hour on the tides due to a reading error on my part. Therefore, we had a nice leisurely paddle on the incoming high tide current.

Here is Grandpa and my 5 year old son, Erik following in the Touring Pirogue. This is a great, easy to build boat for an adult and a young child or two. It is also very user friendly. But then again, the Sabalo is user friendly as well.
I was in the Sabalo with a crab trap on deck eagerly hoping we would have a Dungeness crab feast that evening.
Another couple of photos of the Touring Pirogue after the crab traps were deployed. She handles great in the bay even with the large boat wakes from the power boats going by. The winds were only about 8 mph so there was not much for waves.
Now, remember how I mentioned that nice leisurely paddle on the incoming tide, well the paddle back was quite the workout. Here is a shot heading back to the launch.
Back at the launch and ready to load up and go back to the beach for lunch while the crab pots soak until the low tide in the evening....
Time to harvest all those crabs we thought were going to be in the pots. This time it was an upstream paddle as the tide was still going out. Not to horrible though since the tide was almost at the lowest point.
Well, we pulled both pots. The first was empty, but the second had this little guy. He was a red rock crab and not a Dungeness.
We decided it wasn't worth the trouble to clean one little crab, so we tossed him and the pots back in while we went clamming on the exposed flats. I wore my dry suit because the water was very cold and I had never pulled a crab pot from a kayak before. I thought I may have to sit side saddle and didn't feel like having soaked pants and shoes for the rest of the evening. Or, if I took a spill into the water, I didn't want to cut the evening short.
Upon commencing the clam digging, we were attacked by this vicious little Kelp crab:
A couple of different sunset shots, the first with the sun still up a bit, the second with it almost all the way down.

Well, we went back and pulled the pots again and had several very small crabs that fell out upon reaching the surface. We decided to let them soak overnight. The photo is grainy due to it being fairly dark out.
The next morning, we had to pull them before we had to leave town so we couldn't wait for the low tide. I thought the current was strong the day before, but that was nothing compared to this. The current was so strong that even with 75 feet of rope in 20 feet of water, the buoys were pulled over a foot under water. Its a good thing I had my gaff to get a hold of them or I would not have been able to pull them. Again, no crabs were in the pots. :(

It turns out, none of the power boats with a lot more traps were very successful either. In retrospect, we would have been ahead of the game by eating the chicken we used for bait, but that would not have been as fun.
Regards,

Craig
------------------------------------------------------
If I had more clamps, I could build more boats.
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Re: Netarts Bay Crabbing in a Couple of JEMS

Post by jem »

Awesome!
-Matt. Designer.
preacher
Type of boat I like: Cape Fear SOT

Post by preacher »

jem wrote:Awesome!
X2
rhutchinson
Type of boat I like: Kayaks and Canoes.

Post by rhutchinson »

Thanks for shareing. It looks like everyone had a memorable time. Those pictures gave me a whole new impression of Oregon. It's beautiful coastline.

Matt, it's got to make you feel good when you see things like this.

Richard
The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese in the trap !!!
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Post by jem »

rhutchinson wrote:

Richard
Absolutely!
-Matt. Designer.
scottrunnr
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by scottrunnr »

Really nice! Thanks for sharing!
craiggamesh

Post by craiggamesh »

Thanks guys.
rhutchinson wrote:Thanks for shareing. It looks like everyone had a memorable time. Those pictures gave me a whole new impression of Oregon. It's beautiful coastline.

Richard
Yes, the Oregon coast is very beautiful and rugged. The best part about it is that it is 363 miles of public beach. :D This helps keep the crowds to a minimum.
Regards,

Craig
------------------------------------------------------
If I had more clamps, I could build more boats.