Okwata at Jervis Bay South Coast NSW

Share your photos of outing with your boat!
Artfull Dodger
Type of boat I like: issaquah

Okwata at Jervis Bay South Coast NSW

Post by Artfull Dodger »

I Finally managed a getaway for the long weekend so I packed the car and headed down south to Jervis Bay. The weather started out pretty good but mother nature can sure turn that around and sure enough when its a long weekend :cry: . This was the first time I have tested the Okie with the rudder fitted, WOW what a difference it made for me. :lol:
I have not been paddling long and still class myself in the novice category and with a rudder fitted I could turn this baby on a dime with a few easy strokes.

With a stiff on shore breeze the Okwata cut through it with ease, the short chop washed on to the front deck and the hatch stayed nice and dry much to my delight.

I was very optimistic with the net and gaff with only a few throw back's, oh well maybe next time, thats fishing. I also learnt a valuable and obvious lesson from my last trip up the Hawkesbury River, attach a lanyard to just about everything including your prized rod and reel that doesn't float. It was a funny story of stupidity which I thought better than to share with the finance minister upon my return.

A couple of modified brackets to suite the rudder pin.

It really blew up after this so I headed for the local Kayak shop for a chin wag and some bits and bobs to secure the rudder to the deck when not in use. Almost two hours later and the kids nipping at my heals I managed to get out of there with a new paddle and spray skirt on the wish list. Ross the shop owner was very helpful and took great admiration in the Jemwatercraft Okwata being a kayak builder himself.

Next trip will be St Georges Basin for a weekend getaway, need to get started on a new build for the better half im thinking a Laker should do the trick.0

An old bulder once said 'Building wood boats can become very addictive , but it is a healthy habit and offers great stress relief and then a ton of fun when you use them .......
great wisdom thanks VV.
Last edited by Artfull Dodger on Mon Oct 04, 2010 2:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
tx river rat
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Re: Okwata at Jervis Bay South Coast NSW

Post by tx river rat »

I tried the layards and have discarded them and gone to rod floats on anything I cant secure,had a buddy get tangled in a paddle leash ,luckily it turned out alright.
Ron
Bemm 52
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Re: Okwata at Jervis Bay South Coast NSW

Post by Bemm 52 »

Wow you pimped it good 8) ...................anchor trolley comes in handy and the rocket launchers a good practicle storage solution too