Paddled my Cape Fear Yesterday

Share your photos of outing with your boat!
preacher
Type of boat I like: Cape Fear SOT

Paddled my Cape Fear Yesterday

Post by preacher »

Finally took some time off yesterday and launched the Cape Fear before the ice storm hit. I didn't take pictures just did a 2 1/2 hour paddle (and fishing) and fell even more in love with this baby. The last time I took it out I sprung a leak in my back scupper so that trip was a dud.

The CF paddles like a rocket after you been paddling tupperware boats for 3-4 years. I didn't take my GPS but she was easily doing twice what the Ocean Kayak Big Game would do. I'm not used to a boat without rocker but the CF knifed through the water like a razor. Took a little longer to turn than my 12 1/2 foot boats but when I applied the rudder she turned on a dime. Quiet ride, so quiet I paddled right up on about 75 Canadian Geese in open water and was about 75 feet away before they notice me. Man, it wasn't quiet after that.

Stable as anyone would want. At first she seems to be tipsy but that is the V shaped hull and secondary stability is rock solid.

The boat weighs about 45 pounds before rigging. I'm estimating the rigged boat is 74 pounds (my 12 1/2 foot OK Big Game is 70 pounds before rigging). All the CF rigging is somewhere around 29 pounds. (Seat is 10, battery is 10, 3 hard plastic hatches, depth finder and cables, rudder and controls, rod holders, handles and other rigging another 9). My weight is back up to 273 and I was carrying about 25 pounds of tackle with me.

Said all that to say I'm glad I didn't install the front scupper. I noticed the water level outside and top of where the scupper would be were about the same. I had raised the back scupper about 1 inch when building and it was free and clear.

All in all I would recommend this boat to anybody

Now I got to apply some more slime to get the mojo working on this puppy.