Willamette River Sturgeon Fishing....again.

Share your photos of outing with your boat!
craiggamesh
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Willamette River Sturgeon Fishing....again.

Post by craiggamesh »

I went out to George Roger's Park in Lake Oswego, Oregon to launch out on to the Willy today. I got out there around 9 am and paddled around for a bit to see if I could find an anchor rig that a fellow Northwest Kayak Angler lost when the current was really strong. Unfortunately, I didn't find it. But the water was like glass and the river was very peaceful.

Within 10 minutes of anchoring up on the east side of the river I had a shaker. I didn't measure it, but the Sabalo is 28 inches wide and it was at least that wide. Unfortunately, I wasn't used to my new Playsport camera and must have inadvertently zoomed in cutting off the head and tail in the photo. Stupid thumbs. :roll:

I had a couple other bites, but unfortunately I just fed shrimp to them with no other hook-ups. There were several jumping on the west side so I moved over there, but it didn't help.

There were a few boats out looking for salmon, but other than that, it seemed like I had the river to myself.

I have an anchor trolley on both sides of my kayak, and I found the second comes in handy keeping it straight when I'm close to an eddy. At least when the tide is going out :) . I deployed a drift sock on the second trolley, but not to far up. I didn't want to snag it should a fish decide to go to the port side.

I had one boat pull up close to me and the driver thanked me for having a flag up. He said he was surprised at how far away he was able to spot me by just the little blaze orange bike flag I had on back. He said he noticed most of the kayak fisherman use them, but a lot of the people out just paddling around don't have them. He said they can be hard to see, especially in the mornings and evenings.
Regards,

Craig
------------------------------------------------------
If I had more clamps, I could build more boats.
rhutchinson
Type of boat I like: Kayaks and Canoes.

Re: Willamette River Sturgeon Fishing....again.

Post by rhutchinson »

Thanks for the report. Nice looking water. I always enjoy the pictures of that boat. Those are some wild looking fish. Whats the legal size for them?

Richard
The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese in the trap !!!
Bemm 52
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by Bemm 52 »

Wow great shots :shock: ............I'm slightly biased but I recon Sabalo is my favorite fishing platform :lol: :lol:
craiggamesh

Post by craiggamesh »

rhutchinson wrote:Thanks for the report. Nice looking water. I always enjoy the pictures of that boat. Those are some wild looking fish. Whats the legal size for them?

Richard
The retention limit is 38-54 inches Fork Length. However, it is catch and release only right now.
Wow great shots ............I'm slightly biased but I recon Sabalo is my favorite fishing platform
Mine too :D
Regards,

Craig
------------------------------------------------------
If I had more clamps, I could build more boats.