Willamette River Monsters

Share your photos of outing with your boat!
craiggamesh
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Willamette River Monsters

Post by craiggamesh »

The other day, a kayak fishing friend of mine convinced me that a trip to George Roger's Park on the Willamette River for some sturgeon fishing was a far better idea than my original plan of planter trout fishing in a local reservoir. I am glad I listened. I had my best sturgeon day ever catching seven sturgeon (5 were keeper-sized and two were shakers) in about 3 hours. Too bad it wasn't keeper season. :( Although, that would not have mattered much my friend since he had found the over-sized sturgeon hole. I think he caught 5 over-sized, a keeper-sized and a shaker. Here are a couple photos of one of his biggest fish pulled from a video:

It was between 5 and 6 feet long.

Here is another big one of his.

Me in the Sabalo with a keeper sized fish.

Unfortunately, he didn't have a camera to take photos of my biggest one :cry: . I didn't take it out of the water since the bigger fish can be injured by doing so. Therefore, I wasn't able to pull a picture from my GoPro video camera like for the one above.

I have said it before, but I love this Sabalo as a fishing platform.
Regards,

Craig
------------------------------------------------------
If I had more clamps, I could build more boats.
PiratePete
Type of boat I like: Wadefish + Mirarge Drive.

Re: Willamette River Monsters

Post by PiratePete »

They are monster fish Craig.

Thanks for the report & pics . :D :D :D :D
craiggamesh
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by craiggamesh »

Thanks Pete. They are a blast to catch. He caught a 7 footer a few weeks ago. I wish I could get one at least in the 5 foot range. I have never caught anything that big before. I figure the only way to do it is to keep wetting a line. :)
Regards,

Craig
goanywhere
Type of boat I like: Fishing SOTs.

Post by goanywhere »

Just increases my impatience to get going with my Sobalo build. You're demonstrating everything I want to see in a nice fishing yak!
My psychologist reckons I need lots of fishin' therapy!
craiggamesh

Post by craiggamesh »

goanywhere wrote:Just increases my impatience to get going with my Sobalo build. You're demonstrating everything I want to see in a nice fishing yak!
I put it through its paces this last weekend in some very rough ocean conditions. She handled it just fine. I'll post up another out and about report.
Regards,

Craig