Oregon Rockfish Classic

Share your photos of outing with your boat!
craiggamesh
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Oregon Rockfish Classic

Post by craiggamesh »

I had a blast last weekend with about 49 other kayak fishermen and one kayak fisherwoman at the 4th annual Oregon Rockfish Classic Kayak Fishing Derby in Depoe Bay, Oregon. Contestants from California, Washington, and Oregon made the trip to participate. You know it is going to be a good time when one of the sponsors is an Oregon microbrewery. For me it was one of the cheapest fun weekends ever. All the free good beer you could drink, numerous free Big Hammer swim baits, numerous free large (2-6 oz) jig heads and a fish taco buffet with all the fixings for the princely sum of $25. I got a tent camping spot at the Chinook Bend RV Resort along the Siletz River for $24 for two nights and only spent $46 round trip for gas. It cost me more the last time I took my family out for a nice dinner. Here is a photo of the camp site the first night when the weather was still nice.

Another shot of the Siletz from the boat launch and fish cleaning station.

The morning of the derby, the weather was not very nice. However, the bay was calm paddling out to the open water.

But, once out in the open, the swell was big and the wind waves were really stirring things up. Here is a picture of me (in the red dry suit) in the Sabalo.

You can barely see the Sabalo due to the waves blocking the view of the camera. She handled the horrible ocean conditions like a champ. Only once did I feel like I was close to being dumped in the water. That was when I was trying to measure this little kelp greenling and took my eyes off the waves. I was in an awkward position reaching for something when a rogue wave snuck up on me broadside.
The fish was only 15.75 inches long, but at 9 points per inch, that size greenling is valuable in the Angler of The Year contest I am in. Points wise, it beats out a 40 inch sturgeon. :roll: I found it funny that the smallest fish I caught that weekend was the most valuable.
Regards,

Craig
------------------------------------------------------
If I had more clamps, I could build more boats.
craiggamesh
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Re: Oregon Rockfish Classic

Post by craiggamesh »

Someone took a photo of me coming back in after fishing. Did I mention I love how this boat rides?

Regards,

Craig
------------------------------------------------------
If I had more clamps, I could build more boats.