JEM Watercraft

JEM Watercraft

Customer Service Forum
Direct Links To: Canoe Plans  --  Kayak Plans  --  Other Plans

It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:34 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Strip Built Okwata Maiden Voyage
PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 1:51 pm 

I couldn't wait! We had to try the Okwata out before the final coatings of the epoxy/graphite mix. So, the person that I am building it with, and soon to be proud new owner, came over with his son and we loaded some boats on the trailer. As with all maiden voyages of boats I have built, this one took place on the Tualatin River. It is easy because it is less than 2 miles from my door step to the launch and the water is always smooth.

Because there were three of us, I had to use the entire stable of JEMS. We didn't have a seat for the Okwata yet so, a couple chunks of closed cell foam were an adequate substitute. Here is a shot from the Sabalo of the new Okwata(on left) and the Touring Pirouge.

Another couple shots of a couple of strippers:

And when I was piloting the Okwata on the way back to the launch, I got a shot of the Sabalo:

We even had the interest of a local raccoon.

I have to say, the Okwata is a dream to paddle. I am glad I read Mick's review of it and it more than lives up to my expectations. It is easy to get moving and it moves fast. It also seems to glide forever. I used the Greenland paddle I carved when I paddled her. What a pleasure that was. The paddle weighs about 24 ounces and it didn't feel like I was working at all and I was zipping right along. I bet I could easily paddle 25 miles (or more) in a day with this boat and that paddle. I haven't weighed it yet, but she is easy to throw onto a shoulder and carry down to the beach.

This one will be tough to let go of. :cry: This is the first boat I have ever built for someone else.

Thanks Matt!

Craig
------------------------------------------------------
If I had more clamps, I could build more boats.

Post subject: Re: Strip Built Okwata Maiden Voyage
PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 5:33 pm 

I tell you what, that Okwata of yours is just about the most beautiful boat I've ever laid eyes on. Even the bottom looks great, that's why I hate to hear you're putting the graphite on. Your workmanship is stunning to say the least. I just finished my TV and I wouldn't even put it next to yours.
Great work !!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 7:15 pm 
Site Admin

Great report! Can't wait to see some more close-up pictures.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 11:53 pm 

Phishtech wrote:
I tell you what, that Okwata of yours is just about the most beautiful boat I've ever laid eyes on. Even the bottom looks great, that's why I hate to hear you're putting the graphite on. Your workmanship is stunning to say the least. I just finished my TV and I wouldn't even put it next to yours.
Great work !!

Thanks for the compliments phishtech.

The bottom was marine ply. We used that because I figured it would be easier to bend in the front and rear. It also sped up the build. I like strip bottoms, but once you use them a couple times they are all scratched up anyways. So, I started using the graphite/epoxy mix. I like that it and is a harder, more durable finish. Not as pretty though. :( It is also a good indicator of wear. I have it on my Sabalo and it helps me tell when I am starting to wear the ends down.

Craig

Last edited by craiggamesh on Mon Jul 04, 2011 11:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 11:54 pm 

jem wrote:
Great report! Can't wait to see some more close-up pictures.

I will have to take it outside in the sun for the final shots before it goes to its new home.

Craig