Finally took the Cape fear out with another boat.

Share your photos of outing with your boat!
preacher
Type of boat I like: Cape Fear SOT

Finally took the Cape fear out with another boat.

Post by preacher »

It's been a long time getting over this stroke but I'm back on the water trying out my boats.
My son DJ (hambone911) and I drove to Loyd Park on Joe Pool in Grand Prairie, Texas to try out the wooden boats and spend some time together.
Image Image
We paddled about 1/2 mile and got into the creek because the lake was way down. But we got into the fish even with the crowd of PBs and yaks all over the place. Even more so because they wanted get close to the wood boats, but they all were nice people and I enjoyed the compilments.
Ddin't get any great big fish or a great number of fish but had a great time being with my son.
Image Image
Image Image
Even picked up a good size crapie;^) for my brother REV TCF.
Notice the "herringbone" spinner. One of my homemade lures, single #3 colorado blade on ball bearing swivel, 3/8 ounce white head.

As for the Bee, she did awesome, no great speed but easy paddle. This boat was designed for use in the salt marshes, spins on a dime and gives change, drafts maybe 2 - 3 inches even with my big buXX in the seat. The foot pegs were installed too close to the paddler but an easy fix. The console/ice chest leaks, but another easy fix. The flooded front hatch mounted transducer worked great. Great stability and real good coasting glide. Man, will she glide. Even bringing in a spinnerbait causes her to glide, stakeout pole is a must. My 240 cm paddle is a little short for this boat because of the asymetric shape and the flared gunnels, a little knuckle knocking now. Seat is great height and I can get up and stand easily, no swag in the bottom. Hope not I got 6 layers of glass in the hull. Overall weight loaded for fishing about 75 - 80 pounds. She is 12 1/2 feet long and 32 inches wide at the top of the gunnel's widest point.

The Cape Fear has never been through a good field trial because she leaked (scupper hole seal split a seal) on our first trip and my experiencing some illness, but DJ did her right this time. He showed me just how fast that boat is. Easily busted 8 MPH past me a left an awesome wake. She was designed to chase trout and reds on the oyster banks in-shore, sometimes a good 3 mile paddle. Theory is, less paddling time more fishing time. Great primary stability even with the "V" hull design and secondary stability is rigid. This boat also has a flooded transucer but in the mid-ship water tight hatch behind the paddler. Got to pour some water in before use and it does a wonderful job. I now have trouble in this boat because the wetwell is too far back for this old man and with my physical restrictions, but a younger guy like DJ did OK. This boat is over 15 feet long and weighs in loaded for fishing at about 75 pounds (battery, seat, depth finder, hard hatch covers, and fishing equipment).
OneLastCast
Type of boat I like: Sabalo 12

Re: Finally took the Cape fear out with another boat.

Post by OneLastCast »

Hi Preacher

Glad to see you back out on the water chasing a few fish - really glad.
I thoroughly enjoyed your posts on building the cape fear (I hope to build one in the future), and look forward to more of your expeditions.
Nice pool - it looks like it holds a few fish.
Appreciate your post, thanks for sharing your day.
Regards

Tony
preacher
Type of boat I like: Cape Fear SOT

Post by preacher »

Thanks for the kind words Tony.

Matt and I have communicated a little on the Cape Fear, he says he can make me plans for a true stripper model with forms. I built strip panels and tried to use them like you would plywood and that was a little difficult. I probably will end up building a true stripper when I regain my left side functions a little closer to normal.

That yak is absolutely amazing in the way it handles and the speed of the design surprized me even when I was expecting it to be speedy.
OneLastCast
Type of boat I like: Sabalo 12

Post by OneLastCast »

Hi Preacher

A stripped Cape Fear .... now that should be a really nice little boat. I've always liked the smooth lines of a nicely built stripper (boat that is :lol: ).
I'll be getting into my Sabalo 12 shortly, and would like to have it ready for the summer fishing season. I was trying for this last year but redundancy intervened. I'm back into a decent job so if all goes well, you should see my posts in approximately a months time.
I hope to see you building shortly.
Best Wishes.
Regards

Tony
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Post by jem »

The inlay patterns are amazing. Almost like they have a symbolic meaning. The cross meaning is obvious, of course. Do the other patterns have any special attachment for you?
-Matt. Designer.