Laker 13 with dash and new paddle

Per request from the many Laker builders, the section is dedicated to braggin' about your Laker kayak.
OnkaBob
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Laker 13 with dash and new paddle

Post by OnkaBob »

Some time ago I decided the Onkalaker needed a dashboard and put one together. Today I finally tested it on the water with full fishing kit and new paddle.

The dash looks very low at the cockpit opening and it does take some wriggling to get past it - but only a bit. The height allows my knees to brace up against it for better control while paddling so overall it has worked out quite well.

I took a rod/reel, a bag of tackle, knife, cutters, pliers, rag, first aid kit and camera within reach, and a spare single blade paddle in the rear bulkhead. Even with all this (and the dash) attached I could lift the whole thing and put it in the water without any strains.

There are several tie on points inside the cockpit and the shock cord that holds the dash in place made great holders for the knife and pliers. Didn't plan it that way but I'm happy with the result. The rod butt goes under the shock cord on the dash when paddling and is held surprisingly firmly but is also easy to get out. Leashes were used to tether the camera, rag, pliers and paddle and the tackle bag strap was looped through a tie on point.

The seat is home made and turned out to be comfortable and sturdy :D

Unfortunately the wind was surprisingly strong so I didn't try too much fishing. The photos don't show it but the last section heading home was a struggle - the wind was much stronger than my previous trip.

Cheers, Bob

Laker 13 - christened and slimed (just).
Laker accessories underway.
Kayak Jack
Design Reviewer
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Re: Laker 13 with dash and new paddle

Post by Kayak Jack »

Nice work, Bob. You modified a nice boat into a personal tool. I tired to follow your description, but couldn't.

As a fellow kayaker, I will offer one comment. Make sure, really sure, that your feet/legs aren't entangled or held by the dash board or anything else in your boat. When (not if) you capsize, it is imperative for you to be able to exit as rapidly and easily as possible.

BTW - if you haven't practiced wet re-entry back into a kayak, don't paddlle in water over hip deep. We don't wanna read a lament from your widow.
Kayak Jack
Doing what you like is FREEDOM
Liking what you do is HAPPINESS
I spent most of my money on whiskey and women - and I'm afraid I just wasted the rest.
OnkaBob

Post by OnkaBob »

Thanks for the concern Jack.

I'm confident about being able to exit without entanglement. I have done some training (both theory and prac) and practiced capsize drill (spent FAR too much time upside down beneath a kayak in the Murray river last year :lol: ). The Dancers we used for practice were a tighter fit than the Laker with dashboard.

Have not yet done self rescue practice but will only paddle in rivers until I do so this summer.
Cheers, Bob

Laker 13 - christened and slimed (just).
Laker accessories underway.
Dickie
Type of boat I like: Kayaks

Post by Dickie »

Looks awesome
~~ Dickie ~~
"The BEST tool in the World is the Human mind"