Cutting corners!

Per request from the many Laker builders, the section is dedicated to braggin' about your Laker kayak.
john the pom
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Cutting corners!

Post by john the pom »

Hey guys, This is the first of three planned modifications to my Laker. None of which are about making it less of a Laker: all of which are about making it more of MY boat. Matt's ok with me posting this, if he hadn't been I wouldn't have posted it. The second and third changes will be done over a year or so.

Probably not a lot needs adding to this for you all to see where it's going.
Regards John.
Graybeard
Type of boat I like: Wood and SOF kayaks.

Re: Cutting corners!

Post by Graybeard »

john the pom wrote: Probably not a lot needs adding to this for you all to see where it's going.
Regards John.
Galley slaves?

:D
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Post by jem »

This is interesting. It's similar in concept to a prototype canoe I'm FINALLY finishing up with.
-Matt. Designer.
john the pom
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by john the pom »

Galley slaves
Actually I was thinking along the lines of gun ports :mrgreen:
Bellybuster
Type of boat I like: pirogues kayaks

Post by Bellybuster »

slots for oars??
lilmoe
Type of boat I like: buccaneer

Post by lilmoe »

I'm wondering if the knuckles haven't hit here, so he's removing "here". It looks reasonable. :o
john the pom

Post by john the pom »

A little bit is about knuckles, not very much though. A bit more is about removing the "boxy" look.
Far and away the biggest reason for doing this is to protect the corner that isn't there anymore so now it won't need protecting. :) The corner was very close to a right angle. The corners are now nowhere near a right angle. Right angles don't hold paint well and don't hold resin much better. They both tend to sag away from the corner whilst waiting for a cure. Anyways what with the occasional scuff from my paddle shaft and more so friction from tie down straps. (I know you can, and I do put padding there but it's still a sharp corner and gets a bit soft on hot days.) Both the webbing straps I use to tie down and various pads I've used to protect it have each taken a toll on the vulnerable "sharp" edge. I intend to put some type of wear pad onto the infill panel where the straps will go over it. The chance of me catching the paddle is much reduced, and all in all itsa good excuse to mess about with boats. In 'em or out of 'em it don't matter.
Mebbe I overtighten my tie down straps, but I don't wanna find out what is undertightening! Also Mick could probly comment on the difference between paddling a Laker and his Okwata in terms of THAT corner not being there anymore. In future I would never again affix a deck like that one having cut a section out of the join. So am learning stuff as well.

The varnish, paint and graphited bits are all due for a re-do so not a great drama to include this at the same time.
Regards John.
john the pom

Post by john the pom »

Not a lot of artistry just a chunk of wood and lotsa woodflour and epoxy. 3" glass tape inside and out. The corner was bugging me, now I got it outta my system :P I do think it will improve my Laker experience.
Just gotta bit of sanding to do then repaint the blue, revarnish all wood bits and regraphite the bottom. The red paint inside scrapes away easily to be redone also.
Add water, paddle and fishing rod.
Regards John.
Bellybuster
Type of boat I like: pirogues kayaks

Post by Bellybuster »

that's a unique and interesting mod. Would love to see whole boat pics
john the pom

Post by john the pom »

Almost there now just a few details to tidy up. Then Black lines top and bottom to straighten and re do. Quick scrape and paint inside and back on the water by mid week. :D
Regards John.