About the Drive Well Section

Forum discussing building a well in a boat to mount fin drives.
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

About the Drive Well Section

Post by jem »

This is section of the forum is dedicated to questions and comments about installing a drive well to accept the Hobie Drive fins and other brand drives that might come into play.
-Matt. Designer.
PiratePete
Type of boat I like: Wadefish + Mirarge Drive.

Re: About the Drive Well Section

Post by PiratePete »

I have now fitted to drive wells to my Wadefish & love them. I have quite a lot of photos if any body wants them posted up.

The other thing I have meant to do is take some photos showing the water line & when I get my rudder control mods done I will try to get them.

(I have subscribed to this post so I will get notification when some one replies.)
craiggamesh
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by craiggamesh »

PiratePete wrote:I have now fitted to drive wells to my Wadefish & love them. I have quite a lot of photos if any body wants them posted up.

The other thing I have meant to do is take some photos showing the water line & when I get my rudder control mods done I will try to get them.

(I have subscribed to this post so I will get notification when some one replies.)
I am very interested. I will hack into my Sabalo this winter.

I have something wrong with my elbow and had to start physical therapy. It's been bugging me for over two years. I had an injury to the same one about 6 years before that which took over a year to heal. Luckily, it does not bother me to paddle. However, I realized I am not getting younger so I expect it to come back to bite me again and again after it heals this time. Therefore, I can see the benefit of the mirage drive. I also noticed that the guys with the mirage drive were able to hold their positions and slow their drift across the reefs we fish in the ocean. It allows them more "fishable" time.
Regards,

Craig
------------------------------------------------------
If I had more clamps, I could build more boats.
PiratePete
Type of boat I like: Wadefish + Mirarge Drive.

Post by PiratePete »

craiggamesh wrote: I am very interested. I will hack into my Sabalo
The hard part will be deciding where to cut the hole. I measured the distance from the seat back to the centre of the drive well on 3 different hobbies & got 3 different measurements.

The other thing is the Sabalo seems to have more timber in under the seat that you will need to some how cut out to make the drive well fit.

I'm thinking that you will some how have to remove the floor of the foot well to fit the drive well in & be able to glue it into position & then re fit a new floor to get the strength.
Tor
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by Tor »

PiratePete wrote:I have now fitted to drive wells to my Wadefish & love them. I have quite a lot of photos if any body wants them posted up.

Post and link away It'll definitely be something I need to see.

I have borrowed a drive well plug to model a drive well which I might try to fit to my Souhwind, I need to get that right as putting a hole in a sit in has some interesting consequences.
jem
Site Admin

Post by jem »

The plans now can be downloaded.

They are not an exact fit for every hull but I can provide some help with specific models. I'll do this for free but be sure you have your boat design already purchased and know where you want it. I don't want to do this for those "just curious".

Wait until you're ready to make some saw dust! :)
-Matt. Designer.
Whiskeysmoke
Type of boat I like: SOT Kayaks

Post by Whiskeysmoke »

Are there any written instructions to go with the drive well plans? The diagrams are pretty self explanatory but the various pieces make a fairly daunting puzzle.

Curt
jem
Site Admin

Post by jem »

No instructions but feel free to post questions.
-Matt. Designer.