Drive Well Project

Forum discussing building a well in a boat to mount fin drives.
Jeaux
Type of boat I like: Sit on top kayak

Re: Drive Well Project

Post by Jeaux »

Enjoying the read.
I am looking at building my Fade Wish (Wade Fish hull and deck with Blue Fin sole and cockpit) with a drive well.

Was the drive well used as the front scupper?

Thanks for sharing. Dale
PiratePete
Type of boat I like: Wadefish + Mirarge Drive.

Post by PiratePete »

Yes Dale I only used the drive well as the front scupper. I did put a little up turn in my seat box floor so the front of the well ran back to the front of the drive well.

There would be some pics & explanation in my Tassie Wadefish build.

Jeaux
Type of boat I like: Sit on top kayak

Post by Jeaux »

PiratePete wrote:Yes Dale I only used the drive well as the front scupper. I did put a little up turn in my seat box floor so the front of the well ran back to the front of the drive well.

There would be some pics & explanation in my Tassie Wadefish build.

Will check your build notes. Thanks
bzemaitis
Type of boat I like: SOT kayaks

Post by bzemaitis »

I recently bought the latest Hobie Drive (not the 180) and noticed that they included a set of tabs on the very bottom of the drive. I believe this changes your setup and specs. Have you or anyone solved for this yet or did I just miss it in the above posts?
CC TX
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by CC TX »

Hobie has suggested to cut off the alignment tabs so that it can fit older Hobie kayaks. You can find this info on either the Hobie website or their Forum.

However, I do not know if that will allow the newer Hobie drives to fit in this drive well. I do not have a newer drive to test it with. If I ever build a new kayak, I probably will redesign the drive well to accommodate the latest Hobie drives.
-----
David
craiggamesh
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by craiggamesh »

A little late here, but I have a 2014 inflatable Hobiethat takes the older V2 drive. I fit both the V2 GT drive and the new 180 drive into it by cutting off the guide pins.
Regards,

Craig
------------------------------------------------------
If I had more clamps, I could build more boats.
bbgobie2
Type of boat I like: SOT kayaks

Post by bbgobie2 »

A little off topic.

Has anyone tried or had any thoughts about using the Hobie Inflatable Drive well instead of building the well?
Its actually cheaper than buying click and go mounts. Although the mounts do look a little different.

Pros, kinda a drop in.
Cons, if it cracks or breaks.