British Seagull.........................

Forum for www.boatplans.dk. Guests welcome to post!
Rick B.

British Seagull.........................

Post by Rick B. »

Anyone here ever deal with a Seagull outboard? :?:

Seagull

Post by Guest »

Hi there!

I was importer of Seagull in Scandinavia in the start 90´s they now has stopped the production in UK, it is a brilliant little engine 2 stroke oil 1:10!!!! You have smoke and noise, but it will never let you down.
Aquatronclaus - Denmark
Max

Post by Max »

I have great memories of spending summers messing about in a dingy with a Seagull 40 plus fitted. I once stripped it and de-coaked it. It ran like a pig until the carbon built up again. Great little engine.
Kayak Jack
Design Reviewer
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by Kayak Jack »

I have to wonder why the 1:10 ratio? All other engines of that era ran a 1:16 or 1:20 ratio of oil mixed in the gas. Now, with injection, they run more like 1:50 or 1: 70.

Type and quality of oil makes a large difference too.
Kayak Jack
Doing what you like is FREEDOM
Liking what you do is HAPPINESS
I spent most of my money on whiskey and women - and I'm afraid I just wasted the rest.
Graham
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by Graham »

[quote="Kayak Jack"]I have to wonder why the 1:10 ratio? All other engines of that era ran a 1:16 or 1:20 ratio of oil mixed in the gas. Now, with injection, they run more like 1:50 or 1: 70.

Type and quality of oil makes a large difference too.[/quote]

I know it been a long time coming but ive just found this thread and wanted to answer your queerie. My 1957 British Seagull runs on 1:10 mix this can with work be leand off to 1:12 but beond that you run the risk of Knocking out the big end. Its the execess diesel like consistancy of this mix that takes up the slack in the brass bushes within the motor . If any one needs further information on mix ajustment or any other seagull related blurb try a great website www.saving-old-seagulls.co.uk
this is as far i am aware the definitive site on this subject and the guy that runs it John , what he dosnt know about these great little engines isnt worth knowing .
Kayak Jack
Design Reviewer

Re: British Seagull.........................

Post by Kayak Jack »

Thanks, Graham. Must be a design thing.
Kayak Jack
Doing what you like is FREEDOM
Liking what you do is HAPPINESS
I spent most of my money on whiskey and women - and I'm afraid I just wasted the rest.
Graham

Re: British Seagull.........................

Post by Graham »

Quite agree Jack, british seagulls have been around along time but as long as the British are excentric the little engines will be looked after.My 57 seagull is now mid life and with a little luck and polish should see a century( out live me). Providing the eco nuts dont get thier way and out law all oil burners (two strokes).
Life is what you make it but its what you make that improves your life.
1X Gander river canoe
offers to help support your build