21' Garvey flex as my first project?

Forum for www.boatplans.dk. Guests welcome to post!
Jason
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

21' Garvey flex as my first project?

Post by Jason »

After researching boat plans for over a year, I have decided that the 21' Garvey Flex is the boat that best fits my needs. I see that it has a difficulty level of 4. This will be the first boat that I have built, even though I have had boats all my life. I have a BS in mechanical engineering and have been doing home improvement work including custom carpentry for years. I think I can handle it, or is my ego writing checks that I can't cash? The project seems daunting. Given my experience, do you guys think I can do this with the support of the forum? I have thought of building a small canoe first just to get familiar with the stitch-and-glue process, but I don't want to delay starting the Garvey any more than I already have.
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Post by jem »

I think it could be done. The biggest mistakes that are generally made are using too much epoxy, fillets too heavy, and other things related to the fiberglassing applications.

I'd strongly consider a small canoe first. Maybe even a pirogue. You could do one quick and dirty in a couple weekends.
-Matt. Designer.
hairymick
Design Reviewer
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by hairymick »

Hi Jason,

Welcome aboard mate.

I also considered myself a competent woodworker but I have to agree with Matt. I would also recommend throwing together a fairly simple canoe first. Just to get the feel of working the resin etc.

Good luck :D
Regards,
Mick

JEMWATERCRAFT Swampgirl; Wadefish;Touring Pirogue;South Wind; P5 ;
Laker X 2, Sasquatch 16.5 T-V 15 Okwata 15:
Cobia 15 (under construction)
NeilJ

Post by NeilJ »

I built JEM's bookshelf for my first project and am very glad I did. It was quite easy, very inexpensive, small enough to move around while working on and did not take to long to complete. It taught me volumes, showed me that the stich and glue proccess was doable and a proccess that I enjoyed with a constrution medium which I had not previously used. So before I sunk a bunch of money into a larger project I had a good idea of what I was getting into. I am now working on a DK dingy which is more than twice the size of the book shelves and has multiple panels. I am glad for the experience from my prior project. An added bonus is that I can go look at the bookshelves whenever I need a little inspiration. It also helped that the first project was something I had full support in from my wife (we needed more shelving and she thinks they look great in the kids room). I think anyone with some ability is capable of building even a pretty big boat as a first project but ability has to be inspired by desire and a small project will let you know if you think that inspiration will last the entire term of the project. Well I was going to put in two cents and it ended up being a dime. Above all I would encourage someone with desire to build a boat. I love the process.

Neil
YakAtak

Post by YakAtak »

Hmmm, I could use a new book shelf :P
hairymick
Design Reviewer

Post by hairymick »

good advice NeilJ and very well put. :D

Hmmm, I could use a new book shelf
Hi karl, make two mate. So do I. :lol:
Regards,
Mick

JEMWATERCRAFT Swampgirl; Wadefish;Touring Pirogue;South Wind; P5 ;
Laker X 2, Sasquatch 16.5 T-V 15 Okwata 15:
Cobia 15 (under construction)
YakAtak

Post by YakAtak »

Plans purchased :D