Speedboat Plans

Forum for www.boatplans.dk. Guests welcome to post!
Andy

Speedboat Plans

Post by Andy »

Hi,

I stumbled on the boatplan site by accident and I'm pretty keen to have a go at making the 16ft speedboat.

On the plus side I've got a brand new large format CNC system which I use in my sign business- cutting the DXF files will be a piece of cake. I can get hold of top quality marine plywood from my timber merchants. I have a stack of wood and metal working tools which I use in my sign fabrication and snazzing up the finished hull will be an easy job.

On the downside.
I know absolutley nothing about boats or boating :( In terms of what type of adhesives to use and what type of screws to use I'm totally lost. Normal wood glue is a no no I presume as are cheapy DIY screws. So, what do I need? Special epoxy? Brass screws etc?

I would also like to add floatation foam to the hull to make it a bit safer to use. What type of material do I use? Where can I get it from? How will adding this affect handling?

Also, how do I calculate how much foam I need to keep boyancy of the boat? If it's fully loaded I expect I need to allow for the hull, motor and persons onboard?

Sorry for all the questions :)

my email; a-holmes@btconnect.com

Thanks in advance

Andy
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Post by jem »

Andy,

I'd strongly recommend taking on a canoe or kayak project to get you familiar with the process before taking on a larger speedboat project.

The time and money you invest in a smaller project will be saved 2-fold in your larger project. Not to mention the quality improvement and weight savings.

I'll have some simple pirogue plans ready shortly the will have hyper-simple and detailed instructions for a first time boat builder. Morten also has a couple simple designs.

To get a good feel for the process, check out viewforum.php?f=6

Morten's designs are assembled using a similar method.
-Matt. Designer.

Re: Speedboat Plans

Post by Guest »

Andy wrote:Hi,

I stumbled on the boatplan site by accident and I'm pretty keen to have a go at making the 16ft speedboat.

On the plus side I've got a brand new large format CNC system which I use in my sign business- cutting the DXF files will be a piece of cake. I can get hold of top quality marine plywood from my timber merchants. I have a stack of wood and metal working tools which I use in my sign fabrication and snazzing up the finished hull will be an easy job.

On the downside.
I know absolutley nothing about boats or boating :( In terms of what type of adhesives to use and what type of screws to use I'm totally lost. Normal wood glue is a no no I presume as are cheapy DIY screws. So, what do I need? Special epoxy? Brass screws etc?

I would also like to add floatation foam to the hull to make it a bit safer to use. What type of material do I use? Where can I get it from? How will adding this affect handling?

Also, how do I calculate how much foam I need to keep boyancy of the boat? If it's fully loaded I expect I need to allow for the hull, motor and persons onboard?

my email; a-holmes@btconnect.com

Thanks in advance

Andy
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Re: Speedboat Plans

Post by jem »

Andy wrote: Normal wood glue is a no no I presume as are cheapy DIY screws.
Correct. You don't want to skimp on these materials
So, what do I need? Special epoxy? Brass screws etc?
The plans you purchase should list everything you'll need. Exact items and amounts vary depending on design.
The plans will tell you the amount and recommended types. Where to purchase on where you live. Are you in the US? Adding the foam will add a relatively very small amount og weight to the hull and you won't noticed and perormance difference.
Plans will spell all that out.
That's what we're here for!! :)
-Matt. Designer.