DK15 with an 8 hp motor

Forum for www.boatplans.dk. Guests welcome to post!
lncc63
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

DK15 with an 8 hp motor

Post by lncc63 »

Hi Morten. Was wondering what your recommendations would be so the DK15 could take the weight and power of an 8 hp motor (27kg). Yeah I know its too much but outboards are hard to get here so it will have to do, if ever. The guys in Matt's forum recommended a throttle limiting switch and that's ok. Another concern I think would be trim of the boat with all that weight on the transom. I mentioned handling the power only as a "just-in-case-the-limit-thing-fails" - I wouldn't want the transom ripped off.
Louis
lncc63
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by lncc63 »

Hi again Morten. I seem to have missed the earlier thread about reinforcing the transom. I'll do that ... actually I have a 12mm sheet at home that I could use in place of the 9mm sheet you specify. Doubling that the transom and adding maybe a 10-12 mm solid board should be enough.

What about the weight?
Louis
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Post by jem »

60 pound motor is a lot for smaller boats. Might want to inquire which design Morten thinks would work best. Perhaps he'd draw something up specific for you.
-Matt. Designer.
lncc63

Post by lncc63 »

On the way home, a 1-1/2 hour drive :x that takes up boatbuilding time, I had an idea: how about I put a small center console so the driver sits in the middle? Yeah it complicates things but it might solve the weight problem.

Actually I already have these plans but more importantly we may be able to trailer her on top of our sailboat. The dimensions seems to be just right:

L = 12'10" B=5'3
Mast = 18' something

DK15 L = 15' B=3'8"
Louis